From: Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>
Subject: Re: JVM News
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:36:37 +1300
Date: 2003-02-14T05:36:37+13:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 14:57:01 -0800, achrist@easystreet.com wrote:

>Here is some info about the JVM from Sun that may give a clue why JGnat
>never became a successful product for ACT:
>
>http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321

It seems like Sun has decided that Java won't be debugged which would
cause irreparable damage to the sellability of that product item.

A summary of the memo follows. It is about the JVM in the Solaris OS.

Subject:  Sun says 22% of JVM bugs left unfixed (apparently)

>A website hosting some internal memorandums, & a [leaked] Sun memo:
>
>http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321

(The date of the leaked Sun memo seems to be 2001 or 2002.)

> [...]
>| 4407856 RMI secure transport provider doesn't timeout
>|         SSL sessions
>| 4460368 For jdk1.4, JTable.setCellSelectionEnabled()
>|         does not work
>| 4460382 For Jdk1.4, the table editors for JTable do not
>|         work.
>| 4433962 JDK1.3 HotSpot JVM crashes Sun Management
>|         Center Console
>| 4463644 Calculation of JTable's height is different for
>|         jdk1.2 and jdk1.4
>| 4475676 [under jdk1.3.1, new JFrame launch causes
>|         jumping]
>|
>| In personal conversations with Java engineers and
>| managers, it appears that Solaris is not a priority and
>| the resource issues are not viewed as serious. Attempts
>| to discuss this have not been productive and the
>| message we hear routinely from Java engineering is that
>| new features are key and improvements to the foundation
>| are secondary. ...
>| dependencies for deployment". Following is an excerpt:
>|
>| - Large footprint of applications when run on Solaris.
>|   A simple application ("hello world" type) has a total
>|   footprint of 35-40 megs on Solaris 9 (build 48, using
>|   Java 1.4 build 82) on both Intel and Sparc machines.
>|   Sparc machines, by far, have a much higher resident
>|   footprint then Intel machines (~30 megs, compared to
>|   ~11 megs). The same program run on a Windows machine
>|   has a footprint of ~5 megs, resident footprint being
>|   ~3.5 megs.
>| SMC, Sun's flagship system admin console, takes between
>| one and two minutes to reach the point that it can be
>| used. ...
>|
>| Given this data, it appears that the JRE can actually
>| be simpler than the Python RE since Java does at least
>| some of this work at compile time. ... Hello World
>| written in Java2 requires 9M for this most basic
>| support infrastructure. ... Further examples of what is
>| possible include the compiling OO languages Eiffel and
>| Sather which fit their garbage collector, exception
>| processor and other infrastructure into roughly 400K of
>| resident set.
>|
>| ... It is impractical to run it as a non-terminating
>| daemon. ... Java applications cannot be executed at
>| boot time since the loading of the VM introduces an
>| unacceptable performance degradation. ...
>| We strongly recommend that management require Java to
>| conform to the Software Development Framework
>| especially from the standpoint of ARCreview
>| [Architecture Review Committees]
>| What is perhaps more important is that the perception
>| of Java as an unstable platform is widespread. This
>| perception is restated with every Java-based project to
>| come to ARC. Within Sun, Java is not viewed as a
>| satisfactory language for the construction of
>| commercial applications.

>Java is compared with Ada 95 here:
>   http://www.gnat.com/texts/products/prod_java.htm
>
>Sun does not seem to have the word Ada in its corporate
>vocabulary. They got the word "Eiffel" into their memo though,

A similar problem is occurring at the Gcc project as it gets slower.
There was talk of forking the project. Mr Dewar said that Gcc could be
faster.

At 03\02\12 09:15 -0800 Wednesday, Linus Torvalds wrote to gcc-at-gnu.org
>That said, at least some comparisons with the Intel compiler on an older
>kernel imply that the Intel compiler improves things like UDP and TCP
>latency by 10-25% on 2.4.18 (in fact, the UDP path was apparently
>magically improved by up to 30%, which is damn impressive):
>
>	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103559880923586&w=2
>
>So compiler code generation quality still _does_ matter. It's not as if
>the [gcc] code is unoptimizable.
>
>So: 50% slower compiles from 2.95 to 3.2. With no noticeable improvement.
>
>			Linus

Actually the Gcc project was forked in about August 2002: