From: <cwarwick@fox.nstn.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: Say it isn't so! (Formerly: Ada replacements for DOS I/O)
Date: 31 Oct 1994 08:51:59 -0400
Date: 1994-10-31T08:51:59-04:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 28 Oct 1994 11:59:00 PDT,
Bennett, Chip  <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL> wrote:

>We use SunAda (aka Verdix) with Motif.  Does this mean that if an
>application is drawing to the screen and number crunching at the same time
>in a separate Ada task, that the "background" task is going to be suspended
>for the same I/O interrupts that the "foreground" task is being suspended?

Well my experiments under SCO and Verdix have shown me that a blocking OS
call, i.e. READ, will halt both the foreground and background task until it
has completed... (my data is not yet complete, when I hit the problem on
DOS I went over and quickly checked on the SCO box)

>Does everyone else consider this acceptable, or am I the only one that is
>appalled?

I don't hold any view. My plan is to switch to Unix processes on the SCO
and avoid the problem altogether... so much for system independance
 --
 Lorne Elliot in a Conan the Barabarian suit, or
 "Beware the fool, for only the fool may speak the truth"

 Chris Warwick
 cwarwick@fox.nstn.ns.ca
 warwick@anchor.hfx.prior.ca