* re-re: Fortran to Ada converters
@ 1991-12-09 14:40 Oliver Kellogg
From: Oliver Kellogg @ 1991-12-09 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi"samlingvanoj" (Esperanto for "members of the same language" :) ,

This message was really supposed to be a reply to Jeff Rahr
(eswgjr@v8.vitro.com ?), but I had problems getting mail to him.

Since I only very recently got online with email, I didn't know that any
Fortran-to-Ada converters exist in public domain, so I wrote my own.

It's a very basic one-pass converter that doesn't do any fancy
transformations or optimizations (in particular, and most disturbingly,
it doesn't yet do any GOTO elimination), so it's a HALF-AUTOMATIC
converter. For example, declarations for IMPLICIT variables do not appear
where they should, but only at the very end of the synthesized Ada code.
They must then be manually moved up to where they're supposed to appear.
A further weak point is I/O statements. These are not converted.
In general, the code that comes out should really be worked-over for the
sake of minimal Ada aesthetics, esp. in programs that heavily use GOTOs.

The converter is written in VAX C (sic!) and has thus far only been run on
compute intensive, low-I/O algorithms written in VAX Fortran.

Now I have 2 questions too:

1)
Where can I find the Advanced Tech. Systems Fortran to Ada converter that
someone recently mentioned?  Note I don't have any anonymous ftp.
Maybe you could give me a pointer on what kind of transformations this
converter does, and what its weak points are.
Also, I heard there is available a Lex/Yacc that outputs Ada.
Where can I get this?

2)
Someone (unfortunately I don't recall who) mentioned an article in the
magazine "Computer Languages" on a Fortran to Ada converter. Well I've
looked through issues 1,2, 3/4 of 1991 and issue 1 of 1992, but I
couldn't find the article. I'd be happy if anybody can point me to where
exactly the mentioned article is.

Thanks a bunch for the information.

Oliver M. Kellogg, Software Eng'r, MBB Space Systems, Munich, FRG
email:  okellogg@salyko.sub.org.de

* Re: re-re: Fortran to Ada converters
@ 1991-12-09 18:40 Oliver Kellogg
From: Oliver Kellogg @ 1991-12-09 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh my dear,

I goofed up on my OWN email address in above article!
The right address is:

	okellogg@salyko.doit.sub.org.de

Sorry folks.

* Re: re-re: Fortran to Ada converters
@ 1991-12-17  1:20 arizona.edu!east.pima.edu!rharwood
From: arizona.edu!east.pima.edu!rharwood @ 1991-12-17  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4532@salyko.doit.sub.org>, okellogg@salyko.doit.sub.org (Oliver
Kellogg) writes:

> 1)
> Where can I find the Advanced Tech. Systems Fortran to Ada converter that
> someone recently mentioned?  Note I don't have any anonymous ftp.
> Maybe you could give me a pointer on what kind of transformations this
> converter does, and what its weak points are.

There is a Fortran-to-Ada converter on the ASR.  It is missing a few data files
which are VMS-specific, which I believe SOMEONE has on tape.

A general comment for ANYONE without ftp access who wants things from the ASR,
STARS, AJPO hosts, etc, I highly recommend the FREE services of AdaNET.  They
will set you up with a free user ID to search their on-line Ada documentation
which includes lots of articles (mostly abstracts) and source code for reuse.
They also can give you help over the phone, and will send you floppy disks with
whatever files you find that you'd like to have, in a variety of formats.

Call them at 1-800-444-1458.  Ask for Peggy Lacey.
Ray
-----
Ray Harwood           |Data Basix           |Associate Faculty, East Campus,
Voice: (602)721-1988  |PO Box 18324         |   Pima Community College
FAX:   (602)721-7240  |Tucson, AZ 85731     |Instructor in Ada and Pascal
CompuServe: 76645,1370|AppleLink: DATA.BASIX|Internet: rharwood@east.pima.edu