From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: Safe "use" directive
Date: 11 Nov 2002 06:44:36 -0800
Date: 2002-11-11T14:44:36+00:00	[thread overview]

porton@ex-code.com (Victor Porton) wrote in message news:<3dcba716$0$305$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>...
> Use "use X" directive for a package X only if the package meets the
> following criteria:

(5 line sentence deleted)

> P.S. For packages not following this rule (e.g. some Ada.*), it is
> possible to create wrapper packages following the rule.

%-(

Wouldn't it be far simpler to just not do the "use"?

> Do you agree that it is a good rule? (Don't say: never use "use",
> I am only about the case if one uses "use".)

Sorry, but I don't agree. Once you let in the possibility that there
could be "use"s clouding things, then when something is going wrong
the maintainer *has* to go check all those other packages. He can't
count on the non-compiler enforced parts of the rules having been
followed (after all, *something* is wrong somewhere, or there wouldn't
be a problem). I'd say this is marginally better than putting no
restrictions on uses, but just marginally.