From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: Bindings to Ogg-Vorbis?
Date: 8 Oct 2002 07:09:46 -0700
Date: 2002-10-08T14:09:46+00:00	[thread overview]

"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<tQko9.11$m4.124@news13-win.server.ntlworld.com>...
> Preben Randhol wrote:
>
>  > with all the benefits of Open Source.
>
> Does that include crap documentation or is Ogg Vorbis an exception?

Eh?

I just downloaded the toolkit, and it comes with about 1.05 Meg of
html documentation. That for about 8.5 megs of libraries (a ratio of
about one byte of documentation for every double-word of code!).
Quality and quantity are not the same of course, but I think you'd be
hard-pressed to find much commercial software with that much
documentation. My Visual Studio installation beats that, but only
because I installed *all* of MSDN, including stuff I don't have the
software for (eg: Visual FoxPro, Visual Basic, WinCE). The VisualC++
docs are only about 1/100th of the size of the binaires.

In general, I find this level of support the *rule* for Free Software.
For instance, my desktop Make reference is the print version of the
online reference at gnu.org. Damn near anything you want to know about
any GNU tool is available online at
http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html .

Perhaps the "OpenSource" is important here. I suspect careless people
are both more apt to not produce documentation when they release stuff
and more apt to prefer the term OpenSource. :-)