From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: Ada as a real time language
Date: 28 Aug 2002 10:27:47 -0700
Date: 2002-08-28T17:27:47+00:00	[thread overview]

"Marcus Hedlund" <marcus.hedlund@avionics.saab.se> wrote in message news:<aki282$jhp$1@newstoo.ericsson.se>...
> I was just wondering about the real-time quality in the Ada language.
> Is it possible to write a good hard real-time system without a RTOS, or
> is it necesary to use a RTOS to achieve good real-time proporties?

We wrote a military-grade flight simulator, including its real-time
scheduler, using no OS calls whatsoever (with the exception of one
call to set the RTC frequency). Thus was under vxWorks, but all
synchronization and scheduling was done using standard Ada calls, and
thus should be portable to any system that supports the real-time
annex (and can cycle fast enough). We ran the same code under NT with
no trouble, other than the trouble one would expect when using a
non-realtime OS.

Its certainly easier to do this kind of thing in Ada than it is using
any other language.