From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: What's with all the weird spam?
Date: 25 Jul 2002 07:06:33 -0700
Date: 2002-07-25T14:06:34+00:00	[thread overview]

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote in message news:<ahnhqv$tspnk$1@ID-125932.news.dfncis.de>...
> In the last exciting episode, "chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote::
> > What's with all the weird spam?
>
> Someone probably wrote an AI program and has let it go off and rampage
> on the Internet.

The "from" header seems to be forged, but you can go to
http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=express&Netnic=whois.arin.net&host=24.222.194.126
to see a nice detailed tracert of the common nntp posting host for
these messages. It appears to be comming from a cable-modem user in
Canada.

If it were me, (which it never would be), I think I'd use a free
dialup account rather than an expensive easily traceable cable-modem
account to spam usenet.