* help with UART16550
@ 2002-04-26 20:13 Olivier
From: Olivier @ 2002-04-26 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I was askted to write a device driver for communication with a serial port
(RS232). Is there anyone who knows where I can find a tutorial about this ?
Or sample programs ? The idea is to connect two pc's with each other and
then to write data to the other pc over a serial cable.

Help ...

Olivier
ps : as i am not able to check this newsgroup often, please mail if you can
help me ...

* Re: help with UART16550
@ 2002-05-19 15:09 ` John R. Strohm
From: John R. Strohm @ 2002-05-19 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

There used to be HUNDREDS of books telling how to do this in C and C++.

If your objective is to do it in Ada, using a specific compiler and
operating system, then dig out one of the MANY books and have at it.

If your objective is to get comms working, then check out the Marshallsoft
Personal Communications Libraries at http://www.marshallsoft.com/.  I used
them several years ago on a hurry-up project.  (Literally: I started
sometime Thursday or Friday, timesharing with my birthday.  I had a working
program before Monday morning, and was testing in our lab on Monday.)

"Olivier" <oli@fd.be> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I was askted to write a device driver for communication with a serial port
> (RS232). Is there anyone who knows where I can find a tutorial about this
?
> Or sample programs ? The idea is to connect two pc's with each other and
> then to write data to the other pc over a serial cable.
>
> Help ...
>
> Olivier
> ps : as i am not able to check this newsgroup often, please mail if you
can
> help me ...

* Re: help with UART16550
@ 2002-05-20 16:34 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-05-20 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Olivier" <oli@fd.be> wrote in message news:<Oxiy8.41456$Ze.6960@afrodite.telenet-ops.be>...
> I was askted to write a device driver for communication with a serial port
> (RS232). Is there anyone who knows where I can find a tutorial about this ?
> Or sample programs ? The idea is to connect two pc's with each other and
> then to write data to the other pc over a serial cable.

You didn't say for what OS. Also, if you are just talking about using
RS-232 to talk between a couple of PC's, you are probably *not*
talking about a device driver. You can do that easily with user code
in Windows using the Win32 API.

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)