From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: Digital MoBoard in Ada
Date: 13 May 2002 08:19:47 -0700
Date: 2002-05-13T15:19:47+00:00	[thread overview]

Richard Riehle <richard@adaworks.com> wrote in message news:<3CDF22A0.9DD85AD2@adaworks.com>...
> I was able to display the site.   However, I will contact the authors
> and let them know that some people are having trouble with it.  The
> digital moboard is not about web sites anyway.    They simply put
> up a quick web site to provide information about their software.

I definitely feel your pain, in that you were trying to drum up some
supportive comments for this cool project, and instead got mostly
complaints about the website. It greives me that I'm about to add to
it...

I'm not a teacher, so I'm definitely *way* out of line here, but this
is a huge pet peeve of mine. It might be a good idea in the future to
impress upon one's students that HTML is a programming language, and
should be used with the same level of professionalism as any other
language. In particular, web authors should always run their sources
through the W3C validator like they would compile any other sources.
Of course it would be silly to just blame teachers for the general low
quality of web code out there, as most web authors are self-taught.
But from CS students I'd hope to see better, or I have no hope at all.

I could also display the site just fine w/ Mozilla, but I thought I'd
run it through the WC3 validator. First off, it doesn't have the
required doctype header (a common but annoying problem). When I ran it
again using 4.01 transitional (generally the most forgiving setting),
I got about 117 errors. You can see for yourself at
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalmoboard.hssites.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=HTML+4.01+Transitional

Again I think its horrible that you came here looking for support, and
instead got slammed about the website. I'll go bludgen myself for it
at lunch...

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)