* Distribution of subrange bounds
@ 2002-04-01 20:48 dmjones
From: dmjones @ 2002-04-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I am trying to find papers on the integer subranges
used in programs.  What are the distributions
of the lower and upper bounds?  What is the
distribution of representable values, i.e.,
the difference between the upper and lower bounds.
To what extent do developers use subranges, instead
of the basic integer type?

Can anybody point me at any empirical analysis
of Ada or Pascal source code?

Thanks.

* Re: Distribution of subrange bounds
@ 2002-04-02 14:13 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-04-02 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

dmjones <derek@NOSPAMknosof.co.uk> wrote in message news:<Xns91E3D3B905FC4derekknosofcouk@194.168.222.8>...
> I am trying to find papers on the integer subranges
> used in programs.  What are the distributions
> of the lower and upper bounds?  What is the
> distribution of representable values, i.e.,
> the difference between the upper and lower bounds.
> To what extent do developers use subranges, instead
> of the basic integer type?
>
> Can anybody point me at any empirical analysis
> of Ada or Pascal source code?

I've never head of any such study. However, you can certianly go to
http://www.adapower.com and analize a whole bunch of Ada sources
yourself. Free Software projects may not be representative, but it
should give you some idea.

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)