* Any Ada Genetic Algorithm?
@ 2002-03-02  3:33 Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2002-03-02  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am looking for works on Ada Genetic Algorithm. I searched Google and
found the VAGAS is the only work. But it is 7 years old and the links
are broken.

Any pointers?

                                       -- Adrian Hoe
                                       -- http://adrianhoe.com

>  http://dcpu1.cs.york.ac.uk:6666/mark/mark.html
>  (this is Mark Nicholson's home page - follow the link to the VAGAS page)
>
>The VAGAS page gives an overview of the system and allows you to
>download it.  Alternatively you can get the entire system (in the
form
>of a tarred, gzipped file) from the ftp site:
>  ftp.cs.york.ac.uk/pub/mark/VAGAS.tar.gz

* Re: Any Ada Genetic Algorithm?
@ 2002-03-02  3:57 ` Pat Rogers
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Pat Rogers @ 2002-03-02  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Adrian Hoe" <byhoe@greenlime.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for works on Ada Genetic Algorithm. I searched Google and
> found the VAGAS is the only work. But it is 7 years old and the links
> are broken.
>
> Any pointers?

I once got a copy of the source from the person at this cite:

http://www.permutationcity.co.uk/projects/mutants/

but I cannot find it now and I don't see a download link.  However this is a
different cite from the one I had originally bookmarked.  I believe I had to
contact the author for a copy.

Hope that helps,

Pat Rogers

* Re: Any Ada Genetic Algorithm?
@ 2002-03-02  5:20 ` Jim Rogers
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jim Rogers @ 2002-03-02  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do not have an Ada version, but there is a nice C++ version
available at www.coyotegulch.com.

This version should be fairly easily translated into Ada, if
you are willing to do that work.

Jim Rogers

@ 2002-03-02  5:40 ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2002-03-02  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 21:33:24 -0600, Adrian Hoe wrote:

> I am looking for works on Ada Genetic Algorithm. I searched Google and
> found the VAGAS is the only work. But it is 7 years old and the links
> are broken.
>
> Any pointers?

Just FYI, I'm using Ada to write GAs for my Ph.D. research, and all the
code will be released under the GPL after I'm done... someday.

(What I'm doing is actually a narrow subset of GA technology called
neuroevolution, the use of GAs to generate simulated neural networks for
controllers, pattern matchers, etc., that can be "trained" by sparse
reinforcement.)

* Re: Any Ada Genetic Algorithm?
@ 2002-03-02  6:10   ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2002-03-02  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 23:40:59 -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 21:33:24 -0600, Adrian Hoe wrote:
>
>> I am looking for works on Ada Genetic Algorithm. I searched Google
>> and found the VAGAS is the only work. But it is 7 years old and the
>> links are broken.
>>
>> Any pointers?
>
> Just FYI, I'm using Ada to write GAs for my Ph.D. research, and all
> the code will be released under the GPL after I'm done... someday.
>
> (What I'm doing is actually a narrow subset of GA technology called
> neuroevolution, the use of GAs to generate simulated neural networks
> for controllers, pattern matchers, etc., that can be "trained" by
> sparse reinforcement.)

Bah, I'm having trouble with accidentally hitting the accelerator keys
for my newsreader.  Where was I?

I do have some working code you can download for another rather special
subset of GA, namely a solver that works by reshuffling a single string
of pseudo-DNA rather than breeding two strings.  It comes with a
simulator for applying it to the TSP (and some unimplemented stubs for a
couple of other things).

I suspect it would be difficult to convert for use as a general purpose
GA, so you might find it easier to start from scratch if you're not
interested in the TSP or some similar problem.

You can get the code at
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/bdbryant/talk-origins/ga-on-tsp/index.html,
in a link under the section titled "Source Code".  The code is
needlessly complex due to what I was working on at the time, and not
really clean enough for publication, but it should compile and run if
you want to play with it.  It is GPL'd, and presently unmaintained.  It
requires GtkAda because it has an animated display, and it will take a
bit of hacking to make it work if you have upgraded to the latest
version of GtkAda.  (It should compile as is with GtkAda 1.2.11.)

The TSP simulator will generate a random map for you, or you can use it
on problems from the TSPlib; see the README for details about finding
that if you want it.

You can see some screenshots of it at the URL I mentioned above.  You
may find the site rather strange; it was written to support some
discussions on talk.origins, where certain creationists are pushing
William Dembski's bizarre notion that genetic algorithms are no better
than blind searches.  (OK, that's true on *some* problems, and also true
if averaged across *all* possible problems... but the site shows that it
is not true on *every* problem, as Dembski apparently wants his
followers to conclude.)

Due to the odd purpose of the site, the code has been hacked to do a
blind search in parallel with the GA for side-by-side comparison, but
the README tells you how to remove this.

Enjoy,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: Any Ada Genetic Algorithm?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-02  8:09 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2002-03-02  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did some etudes on a GA framework. I no one comes up with something more
robust, I can try and dig it up.

Ehud Lamm

"Adrian Hoe" <byhoe@greenlime.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for works on Ada Genetic Algorithm. I searched Google and
> found the VAGAS is the only work. But it is 7 years old and the links
> are broken.
>
> Any pointers?
>
>                                        -- Adrian Hoe
>                                        -- http://adrianhoe.com
>

> >  http://dcpu1.cs.york.ac.uk:6666/mark/mark.html
> >  (this is Mark Nicholson's home page - follow the link to the VAGAS
page)

> >The VAGAS page gives an overview of the system and allows you to
> >download it.  Alternatively you can get the entire system (in the
> form
> >of a tarred, gzipped file) from the ftp site:
> >  ftp.cs.york.ac.uk/pub/mark/VAGAS.tar.gz

* Re: Any Ada Genetic Algorithm?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-09  8:42 ` Patrice Freydiere
From: Patrice Freydiere @ 2002-03-09  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe wrote:

> Hi,

As i found nothing on the topic, i started writing a GA library in full
static ADA.

I planned to put those sources under the LGPL License.

Currently, the library provide :
chomozome capability
pool capability
 - several selection methodes (wheel selection, elitisme )

a focus on integer orderer chomozomes. but i can also be used for others
application.

Contact me, I can send the source.

Patrice

@ 2002-03-11 15:56   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-03-11 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrice Freydiere <frett@iname.com> wrote in message news:<3c89c80e$0$14900$626a54ce@news.free.fr>...
> As i found nothing on the topic, i started writing a GA library in full
> static ADA.
>
> I planned to put those sources under the LGPL License.

If you are going to release the sources to build a link library (a
"libXXX.a") then the LGPL is an appropriate license. If instead you
are releasing sources that will be "with"ed and compiled along with
the user's sources, the LGPL is *not* an appropriate license. You
should probably use one of the following:

GPL if you don't mind users having to also use the GPL when they
distribute their code.

Public Domain if you don't mind the possiblity of some users taking
your sources, modifying them slightly, and charging for licenses to
the result.

GMGPL (Gnat-modified GPL), if you want your sources to remain
freely-licensed, but don't want that to affect sources that "with"
them and are compiled with them.

In most cases, I pick the GMGPL.

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

* License issues, LGPL, GMGPL (was Re: Any Ada Genetic Algorithm?)
@ 2002-03-12  2:00     ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2002-03-12  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> If you are going to release the sources to build a link library (a
> "libXXX.a") then the LGPL is an appropriate license. If instead you
> are releasing sources that will be "with"ed and compiled along with
> the user's sources, the LGPL is *not* an appropriate license. You
> should probably use one of the following:
>
> GPL if you don't mind users having to also use the GPL when they
> distribute their code.
>
> Public Domain if you don't mind the possiblity of some users taking
> your sources, modifying them slightly, and charging for licenses to
> the result.
>
> GMGPL (Gnat-modified GPL), if you want your sources to remain
> freely-licensed, but don't want that to affect sources that "with"
> them and are compiled with them.
>
> In most cases, I pick the GMGPL.
>
> --
> T.E.D.
> Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)
> Homepage -  http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html

Thanks Ted, I have been puzzled by these licensing terms and vaguely
understand them (this is the first time I have used them (GMGPL) to
release sources of some of my work).

This post serve well for the record of cla archives. If you agree, I
like to put them up at my website. Just e-mail me.

also, there is an organization to shepherd the GPL licensing. Is there
any similar organization to shepherd licensing terms in Ada community
(eg. for GMGPL)?
--
                                       -- Adrian Hoe
                                       -- http://adrianhoe.com

* Re: License issues, LGPL, GMGPL (was Re: Any Ada Genetic Algorithm?)
@ 2002-03-12 22:48       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-03-12 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Hoe <byhoe@greenlime.com> wrote in message news:<3C8D6156.55968DAE@greenlime.com>...

> also, there is an organization to shepherd the GPL
> licensing. Is there any similar organization to shepherd
> licensing terms in Ada community (eg. for GMGPL)?

Not quite sure what you mean by "shepherd" here. FSF is
the corporation responsible for the wording of the GPL
license, but all they do is to make this license available.
ACT produced the wording for the GMGPL, and all we do is
to make the licensing language available for anyone who
wants to use it. The FSF has no responsibility if you use
the GPL, and ACT has no responsibility if you use the GMGPL. It is up
to you to determine, e.g. by consulting
with an attorney, what licensing statement best meets your
goals.