From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: AdaMULTI/Ada 95 for Bare Board
Date: 4 Mar 2002 12:16:20 -0800
Date: 2002-03-04T20:16:20+00:00	[thread overview]

john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John McCabe) wrote in message news:<3c83596e.9029553@news.demon.co.uk>...
> Watch out for allocation of huge stack areas for aggregate assignments
> to arrays...
>     My_Large_Array = (others => 0, others => 0, others => 0);
>
> will attempt to allocate a 4MByte or so block of stack to create an
> aggregate before copying it to the global variable (My_Large_Array).
> Green Hills claim it is *required* by the RM, but certain people who
> were involved in writing the manual disagree!

(assuming you meant ":=")

I believe this would be required in certian situations if the source
for the data came from overlapping parts of the same object. Perhaps
the answer you got was vendor shorthand for "there are some situations
where this would be required, and we don't want to do the work
required to recognise those situations and do something different."
:-)

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)