* alerting Ada advocates
@ 2002-01-17 12:34 Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2002-01-17 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

subject: Pascal perspective
Newsgroups: comp.software-eng

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen
--http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ph/
--Team Ada: "C'mon people let the world begin" (Paul McCartney)

* Re: alerting Ada advocates
@ 2002-01-17 19:52 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-17 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann <ica2ph@iris16.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in message news:<a26gch$6i8$1@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>...
> subject: Pascal perspective
> Newsgroups: comp.software-eng

There's a posting on Slashdot today (in the VHDL topic) that
promulgates the "designed by committe" myth too. Fortunately, I just
happened to have 5 moderator points today. :-)

* Re: alerting Ada advocates
@ 2002-01-18 14:10   ` Dale Pontius
From: Dale Pontius @ 2002-01-18 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4519e058.0201171152.422499ee@posting.google.com>,
        dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison) writes:
> Peter Hermann <ica2ph@iris16.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in message news:<a26gch$6i8$1@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>...
>> subject: Pascal perspective
>> Newsgroups: comp.software-eng
>
> There's a posting on Slashdot today (in the VHDL topic) that
> promulgates the "designed by committe" myth too. Fortunately, I just
> happened to have 5 moderator points today. :-)

And I happened to throw in a reply tying VHDL vs Verilog back to Pascal
vs C, coupled it to Ada, and wondered why when we're becoming more and
more security conscious, we're still coding in C, leaving prevention of
buffer overflows and the like to due diligence alone.

No mods, and the only reply I got was that I should ditch VHDL and use
the Verilog equivalent of lint.

Security concerns come up frequently on /. and some fraction of the
time I try to throw in a plug for strong typing. I don't know if I'd
rather be ignored or flamed, but except for spawning the "Ada was a
babe!" subthread, I've always been ignored.

Dale Pontius
NOT speaking for IBM

* Re: alerting Ada advocates
@ 2002-01-18 19:31     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-18 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

pontius@btv.MBI.com.invalid (Dale Pontius) wrote in message news:<a29ad4$q5k$1@news.btv.ibm.com>...
> And I happened to throw in a reply tying VHDL vs Verilog back to Pascal
> vs C, coupled it to Ada, and wondered why when we're becoming more and
> more security conscious, we're still coding in C, leaving prevention of
> buffer overflows and the like to due diligence alone.

Actually, it had 3 points when I looked at it (now 4 and
"Informative", since I haven't found anything better to put points on
today).

> No mods, and the only reply I got was that I should ditch VHDL and use
> the Verilog equivalent of lint.

I almost never get mods or replies to slashdot posts I make, and your
karma looks way better than mine.