From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: Accessing I/O Ports in Windows NT/2000
Date: 18 Jan 2002 07:03:50 -0800
Date: 2002-01-18T15:03:50+00:00	[thread overview]

Jeffrey Glenn <jeffrey.glenn@mail1.monmouth.army.mil> wrote in message news:<3C474180.8060306@mail1.monmouth.army.mil>...
> drivers for Windows NT. I realize that Ada doesn't provide these
> facilities, but I hoped to find that someone had already written such an
> interface/wrapper package. Ada also doesn't support ODBC, TCP/IP, nor
> Windows for that matter, but a lot has been written to bind with them.

"Doesn't support" is certinaly not the way I'd put it. Ada was *made*
for doing stuff like this. Sure, device drivers are not part of the
language. But you could say the same for C. In both cases the
facilities for writing them, including interfacing to the OS, are
there. So it would be equally (un)true to say that C does not support
any of that stuff.

> Oh well, I guess I have to to be the first one sometimes.

Someone always has to go first. However, I doubt you are indeed in
that situation. I was only trying to point out that this is not the
place to gather that kind of information. A couple of us here might
happen to know a lot about Windows device drivers, but then a couple
of us here might happen to know a lot about Geneology too. That
wouldn't make this the best place to go for Geneology questions.

If you find out what you need to do (what OS and/or 3-rd party API
routines you need to call), but don't know how to call that stuff from
Ada, this is the place to come to.