From: "Paul Pukite" <pukite@daina.com>
To: bill@uk.co.gec-mrc
Subject: Re: Ada and embedded system reconfiguration
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 94 08:39:47 CST
Date: 1994-11-08T08:39:47-06:00	[thread overview]

R.A.L Williams  <bill@uk.co.gec-mrc> wrote:
 > Are ADA, reconfiguration and software reuse mutuall exclusive? Discuss.

If your question concerns feasibility: Yes, you can do portable, distributed
processor reconfiguration using Ada.  If you want first-hand info...

My company did work on the Pave Pillar/AARTS (Ada avionics real-time
software) program for the US Air Force.  We supplied the Ada expert
system module for reconfiguring the loadable program units depending on
mission mode and failures of the clustered processors (we called it the
RRM -- redundancy and reconfiguration manager).

I developed the RRM module with PC Ada and then cross-compiled directly to
the 1750A for their testbed. It should also work with the 6800,etc targets.
So mixing processor types is not considered a real problem. You just
have to have the binary images available to load on the matching CPU.

(The primary contractors did the main AARTS work and did a commendable
job. You really appreciate Ada and good design when you have to
integrate with someone else's code.)

We finished the project up in 1992. You can find references to the Pave
Pillar project (including this) in the NAECON proceedings from that year.

What's the problem with doing it with Ada?  Nothing, as far as I can
tell. You need a commitment, and then you just do it!

--
Paul Pukite (pukite@daina.com)
DAINA Engineering  612/781-7600