From: Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Qt4Ada: Qt for Ada
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 11:24:58 +0200
Date: 2006-08-06T11:23:01+02:00	[thread overview]

Steve Whalen wrote:
> Yves Bailly wrote:
>
>> ... I do believe that "commercial" /= "closed source". ...
>>

> While this is very true, it is also very misleading.
>
> The best estimates I've seen show that pure GPL only "commercial"

Then again, open source has a definition different from GPL.
And also, sources closed to the public can be open to the
buyers of a program license, with or without NDA.

Measuring the fraction of license types in $ or � etc can be misleading,
too, because e.g. Microsoft is always luring potential customers into
the following situation: If you are willing to dismiss the use
of industry standards/protocols etc. in favor of new MS solutions,
you can start with *very* low expenses on MS technology, as
they will charge the regular prices only later, when their
technology has settled, and you can no longer switch.
 Which might explain part of MS software in domains new to them.

-- Georg