* Re: Porting GNAT/GCC to FreeBSD
       [not found] <447F6576.6020006@lovetemple.adbloccker.net>
@ 2006-06-02  8:40 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-06-02  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karel Miklav wrote:

> Is it OK to just install each version of binaries in a separate
> folder, like /user/local/bin/gcc34/?

This works, if PATH is adjusted accordingly.

> Should I use --program-prefix
> or --program-suffix flags to configure GCC? What should I advise
> users about making the compiler usable - setting the environment,
> specifying flags, making aliases, links?

Have you had a chance to took at the Debian/GNU port?
The names, suffixes, and locations are changed, there, too.

Georg

* GNAT at FreeBSD -- Question about available versions ...
       [not found] <447F6576.6020006@lovetemple.adbloccker.net>
@ 2006-06-02 15:57 ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karel Miklav <karel@lovetemple.adbloccker.net> writes:

> I'm trying to port GCC 3.4.6 with Ada support to FreeBSD. This port

BTW: I remember that 3.15p has been in earlier FreeBSD-Release. But
when I looked into Release 6.x I only found gnat-2005 (ACT GPL GNAT, I
think).

Does anybody here know, wether there is any technical reason that
Gnat-3.xp has been dropped from the 6.x release stream (i.e. problems
between the tasking runtime and FreeBSD thread model or whatever) , or
wether the only reason is that it was just too much effort or no
maintainer available?

Regards -- Markus

* Re: GNAT at FreeBSD -- Question about available versions ...
@ 2006-06-02 17:13   ` Karel Miklav
From: Karel Miklav @ 2006-06-02 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

M E Leypold wrote:
> BTW: I remember that 3.15p has been in earlier FreeBSD-Release. But
> when I looked into Release 6.x I only found gnat-2005 (ACT GPL GNAT, I
> think).

GNAT 3.15p wasn't dropped, it was just updated to GNAT 2005. Check the
revision history on ie.: http://www.freshports.org/lang/gnat. There is
still a binary version of the old compiler on servers used to bootstrap
the new one.

> Does anybody here know, wether there is any technical reason that
> Gnat-3.xp has been dropped from the 6.x release stream (i.e. problems
> between the tasking runtime and FreeBSD thread model or whatever) , or
> wether the only reason is that it was just too much effort or no
> maintainer available?

There are no direct technical problems just a lack of manpower. Maybe
you can help - try to download and play with my port than share your
experience (beware, it doesn't deinstall).

--

Regards,
Karel Miklav

* Re: Porting GNAT/GCC to FreeBSD
@ 2006-06-03  7:40   ` Karel Miklav
From: Karel Miklav @ 2006-06-03  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
>> Is it OK to just install each version of binaries in a separate
>> folder, like /user/local/bin/gcc34/?
>
> This works, if PATH is adjusted accordingly.

Yes, and I think this is the smallest annoyance for the end user.

> Have you had a chance to took at the Debian/GNU port? The names,
> suffixes, and locations are changed, there, too.

I checked. Debian has everything neatly installed in default paths,
which has it's own set of problems. I'll see.

But I wasn't able to find the build script, only source and binary
packages. Where can I get it?

--

Regards,
Karel Miklav

* Re: Porting GNAT/GCC to FreeBSD
@ 2006-06-03 14:42     ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-03 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Karel Miklav <karel@lovetemple.adbloccker.net> writes:
> But I wasn't able to find the build script, only source and binary
> packages. Where can I get it?

In the source package. Debian has all build stuff in the source tree
in sub directory debian/.

To get the source tree just say the following on a debian system:

    $> mkdir gnat         # apt-get fetches multiple files, this dir to keep all together
    $> cd gnat

    $> apt-get source gnat

    (... lots of stuff happen here: archive is fetched and unpacked )

    $> cd gnat-3.15p/debian/

    $> ls

    changelog  README.Debian rules control

    (...)

The build rules are in the file 'rules'. This is actually a makefile
and the target from which all build actions flow is (surprisingly)
called 'build'.

build: build-stamp
build-stamp: patch-stamp config-stamp compiler-stamp static-stamp \
        shared-stamp tools-stamp
        dh_testdir
        touch build-stamp

compiler-stamp: config-stamp
        $(MAKE) CFLAGS='-O2' GNATLIBCFLAGS="$(GNATLIBCFLAGS)" LANGUAGES='c ada'
        touch compiler-stamp

config-stamp:
        CC=gnatgcc ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=$(OS) --target=$(OS)
        cd ada && touch treeprs.ads a-einfo.h a-sinfo.h nmake.adb nmake.ads
        # Prevent running autoheader, which isn't necessary
        touch cstamp-h.in
        touch config-stamp

(...)

and so on. i think xou get picture. Much luck :-).

Regards -- Markus

* Re: Porting GNAT/GCC to FreeBSD
@ 2006-06-03 17:38     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-06-03 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karel Miklav wrote:
> Debian has everything neatly installed in default paths,
> which has it's own set of problems. I'll see.
>
> But I wasn't able to find the build script, only source and binary
> packages. Where can I get it?

Usually, Debian adds a diff.gz and a debian directory to the original
GCC sources. In there, you should find changes. The build
tools are interwoven with debian build scripts, I'm not sure
these are easily ported to FreeBSD (Don't know
though, I only played for one or two years with NetBSD, and that
was long ago.)

However, you can of course look at everything in the diff and ./debian
subdirectory of the GNAT sources, in particular the "rules" (or rules.d/).

HTH, Georg

* Re: Porting GNAT/GCC to FreeBSD
@ 2006-06-03 18:32       ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de> writes:

> Karel Miklav wrote:
> > Debian has everything neatly installed in default paths,
> > which has it's own set of problems. I'll see.
> > But I wasn't able to find the build script, only source and binary
> > packages. Where can I get it?
>
> Usually, Debian adds a diff.gz and a debian directory to the original
> GCC sources. In there, you should find changes. The build
> tools are interwoven with debian build scripts, I'm not sure
> these are easily ported to FreeBSD (Don't know
> though, I only played for one or two years with NetBSD, and that
> was long ago.)

In the case of debian the 'build scripts' do a lot of things that are
not strictly necessary, only to be sure to have a "sane" state of the
build tree when the build starts (i.e. with respect to permissions).

As far as the gnat package is concerned, I found the entries in
debian/rules quite readable :-).

@ 2006-06-08 13:56     ` Craig Carey
From: Craig Carey @ 2006-06-08 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:13:42 +0200, Karel Miklav wrote:
>M E Leypold wrote:
>> BTW: I remember that 3.15p has been in earlier FreeBSD-Release. But
>> when I looked into Release 6.x I only found gnat-2005 (ACT GPL GNAT, I
>> think).

I The FreeBSD project seems to be malfunctioning and headed into
possible popularity, but which seems irrelevant.

The Dragonfly BSD project seems to be a more fitting target for
comp.lang.ada.

It does not matter whether the FreeBSD Ada "Port" is usable or not if
the incopatibility with the persons at FreeBSD is too much.

>There are no direct technical problems just a lack of manpower.

The FreeBSD Foundation now needs much more cash, and needs to ferry
SD-people to meetings/conferences, and professes to find Sun
Microsystems Java to very important deb Goodman and the chiefs:

  http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml

I cna't decided if it is more consistent with FreeBSD being grabbed
by IBM when they get around to it, than by Sun, or reverse.

> Maybe you can help - try to download and play with my port than share
>your experience (beware, it doesn't deinstall).

(Merely delete directories to uninstall; unless deleting the whole OS).
Dragonfly has the primitive OpenBSD DOS partition set up, and it can't
read UFS2 filesystems. Dragonfly uses the NetBSD port system now; and
it seems to be a plausible direction to remove the FreeBSD Ports.
The designer of Cvsup (Mr Polstra) is inside of the JavaBSD Foundation
(What is the "D" in "BSD". I wonder if IBM staff can remember what the
"D" is for?. It could be changed to "A"; an Ada OS).

I see that Vim 7 is bad with the "vim -o *" command.

++ Craig Carey