* Please clear my doubt about variant record type
@ 2006-05-15  9:53 Sathish Veluswamy
From: Sathish Veluswamy @ 2006-05-15  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi..

Can you please tell me at what time does the memory is allocated for an
variant record type. whether the memory is allocated at the time of
compilation or during run-time..??

With regards

Sathish Veluswamy

* Re: Please clear my doubt about variant record type
@ 2006-05-15 12:23 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-05-15 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sathish Veluswamy wrote:
> Hi..
>
> Can you please tell me at what time does the memory is allocated for an
> variant record type. whether the memory is allocated at the time of
> compilation or during run-time..??

Depends.

type T(toggle: BOOLEAN) is record
end record;

Then

function foo(m: BOOLEAN) return INTEGER is
   x: T(m);
end;

The compiler will not know, in general, which variant
of T to choose for x, at compile time?

* Re: Please clear my doubt about variant record type
@ 2006-05-15 18:31 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2006-05-15 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sathish Veluswamy wrote:

> Can you please tell me at what time does the memory is allocated for an
> variant record type. whether the memory is allocated at the time of
> compilation or during run-time..??

In general, no memory is allocated for types of any kind. Memory is
allocated for objects. All memory allocated for objects is allocated
during run time. The important question is where that memory is
allocated: on the stack or on the heap. For unconstrained objects of a
variant-record type, the answer is compiler dependent.

--
Jeff Carter
"I would never want to belong to any club that