From: Gautier <gautier@fakeaddress.nil>
Subject: Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:49:41 +0200
Date: 2006-04-16T20:49:41+02:00	[thread overview]

Christopher Browne:

> After a long battle with technology, Gautier <gautier@fakeaddress.nil>, an earthling, wrote:
>> What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set of
>> packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
>> versions are not of importance) ?
>
> When none of Microsoft's software is "open source," it doesn't make
> much sense to expect to use "OSS" anything with it.  That's not
> consistent with the "Microsoft Way."

It is exactly what I need: something inconsistent with the Microsoft Way.
As you can guess, it is not _my_ database, then I cannot get rid of _that thing_,
but since you can can produce software also for Windows, without any of
Microsoft's tools, you can still make your life better on the software side.
The need of OSS corresponds to developing a (for a time) personal
toolbox in a corporate environment where IT people are brainwashed by Microsoft
and where other people think that it is absolutely normal that "the" language
(say VB.Net) changes every two years its way of storing arrays, its default
parameters passing convention, etc.
I'm sure it sounds somethings to people here...
Gautier         -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/index.htm
Ada programming -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm