* Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
@ 2006-03-29 21:37 Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2006-03-29 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set
of packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
versions are not of importance) ?

The Ada code would steer DBs through simple SQL queries.
It also would call stored procedures - are these MS-specific ?

I would use GNAT from the Ada side but I would prefer a
compiler-independent solution, if it exists.

The aim is to re-engineer progressively a crappy VB.Net program.

Thanks a lot in advance for pointers.
Gautier         -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/index.htm
Ada programming -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
@ 2006-03-30  4:02 ` Christopher Browne
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Christopher Browne @ 2006-03-30  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

After a long battle with technology, Gautier <gautier@fakeaddress.nil>, an earthling, wrote:
> What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set of
> packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
> versions are not of importance) ?

When none of Microsoft's software is "open source," it doesn't make
much sense to expect to use "OSS" anything with it.  That's not
consistent with the "Microsoft Way."

> The Ada code would steer DBs through simple SQL queries.  It also
> would call stored procedures - are these MS-specific ?

Certainly they are.  A "standard" scheme for stored procedures, called
PL/M, didn't emerge until, I believe, SQL:2003.

> I would use GNAT from the Ada side but I would prefer a
> compiler-independent solution, if it exists.
>
> The aim is to re-engineer progressively a crappy VB.Net program.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for pointers.

Seems unlikely...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/nonrdbms.html

* Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
@ 2006-03-30  7:31 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2006-03-30  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNADE (http://gnade.sourceforge.net)

> The Ada code would steer DBs through simple SQL queries.
> It also would call stored procedures - are these MS-specific ?

Sure, as well as SQL. Even when using ODBC, it is always vendor-specific.
SQL DBs are a great mess...

> I would use GNAT from the Ada side but I would prefer a
> compiler-independent solution, if it exists.

As far as I can tell, that should be no problem.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
@ 2006-03-30  8:58 ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2006-03-30  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier a �crit :
> What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set
> of packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
> versions are not of importance) ?
I would recommend ODBC, this makes the *binding* independent from any
DBMS. Of course, the *queries* would depend on the DBMS, but it is easy
to localize these dependencies.

> The Ada code would steer DBs through simple SQL queries.
> It also would call stored procedures - are these MS-specific ?

Stored procedures could be a problem, especially if you want to keep
some portability. Can't you do the equivalent on the Ada side?

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
@ 2006-03-30 12:50   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-03-30 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 09:31 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:37:23 +0200, Gautier wrote:
>
> > What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set
> > of packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
> > versions are not of importance) ?
>
> GNADE (http://gnade.sourceforge.net)

Yes, although this choice will affect portability, because
for example the ODBC binding requires 64 bit datatype
declarations to work (SQLBIGINT).
Not all Ada compilers support this range.

> > I would use GNAT from the Ada side but I would prefer a
> > compiler-independent solution, if it exists.
>
> As far as I can tell, that should be no problem.

The sources announce that

"--  GNADE is implemented to work with GNAT, the GNU Ada
     compiler.            --"

GNADE is GNAT dependent in a few places. Some GNAT packages
are with'd in bodies. (The vendor specific 'Img attribute seems
to make it into production software, in spite of its documented
purpose (quick debugging function for the lazy typist). (Is
Microsoft's language modification habit at work here? :-) :-)))

You could make a few changes to the GNADE sources, and get a
plain Ada program for "32 bit compilers", if the GNADE licensing
conditions meet your needs.

GNADE *is* a great framework for SQL database access.

-- Georg

* Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-31  2:32 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-03-31  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier <gautier@fakeaddress.nil> writes:

> What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set
> of packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
> versions are not of importance) ?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnade

GNADE works on Windows. I use it to access MySQL thru ODBC; it should
work for MS SQL thru ODBC as well. I haven't tried it with GNAT GPL
edition; if you encounter compilation errors, I can clean them up.

> The Ada code would steer DBs through simple SQL queries.
> It also would call stored procedures - are these MS-specific ?

I don't see that it matters whether the stored procedures are
MS-specific; you call them via SQL, don't you?

> I would use GNAT from the Ada side but I would prefer a
> compiler-independent solution, if it exists.

GNADE has some GNAT dependencies, but they should be easy to get rid
of if you really want to.

> The aim is to re-engineer progressively a crappy VB.Net program.

VB has a lot of slick user interface stuff that is totally lacking in
GNADE. For that you can try GtkAda or GWindows.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
@ 2006-03-31  7:59   ` Bernd Specht
From: Bernd Specht @ 2006-03-31  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@acm.org> wrote in news:usloz1gzl.fsf@acm.org:

> Gautier <gautier@fakeaddress.nil> writes:
>
>> What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set
>> of packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
>> versions are not of importance) ?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnade

Are there Ada binding for Oracle (9i, 10g) or DB2, too?

* Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
@ 2006-04-01 10:28     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-04-01 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bernd.Specht@gmx.com (Bernd Specht) writes:

> Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@acm.org> wrote in news:usloz1gzl.fsf@acm.org:
>
>> Gautier <gautier@fakeaddress.nil> writes:
>>
>>> What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set
>>> of packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
>>> versions are not of importance) ?
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnade
>

> Are there Ada binding for Oracle (9i, 10g) or DB2, too?

The generic ODBC binding allows you to use any database from GNADE.
Just load the appropriate ODBC driver from within your Ada program.

In addition, GNADE has a thick binding to the Oracle Call Interface,
and some specific bindings to PostgresQSL, MySQL and SQLite, but not to
DB2.  You are welcome to add one if you want.

GNADE also has an embedded-SQL preprocessor, which translates SQL
statements embedded in your Ada programs to ODBC calls.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-04-03  3:27 ` news.hinet.net
From: news.hinet.net @ 2006-04-03  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have expereniced do it with sql 2000/2005 in gnatcom.
use ADO to access MS's database is no problem.
if you want re-engineer .NET code.
be careful,
the ADO .NET programming model is very different to ADO model.
It mean you need some adjust.

and
the ADO to access SQL2005 sometime is slower than SQL native client does.
the ADO access SQL2005 still need .NET framework and SQL native client.
if performance is import to you , consider A# and .NET framework.

if you need sample code,write mail to me.
b u b b l e @ r i s k m . c o m . t w , I  will mail it to you.

* Re: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
@ 2006-04-03  6:27   ` news.hinet.net
From: news.hinet.net @ 2006-04-03  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

sorry to the reply,
I response it too quick,
please ignore the my response in the thread.

* Re: Q: Open-source to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs from Ada ?
@ 2006-04-16 18:00   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2006-04-16 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Pierre Rosen:

>> What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set
>> of packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
>> versions are not of importance) ?
> I would recommend ODBC, this makes the *binding* independent from any
> DBMS.

Thank you - at a first glance that solution would at best fit
my needs, even though I will evaluate other(s) - at least GNADE.
If it is lightweight and not necessarily GNAT-dependent it would be
perfect.

 > Of course, the *queries* would depend on the DBMS, but it is easy
> to localize these dependencies.

There is also an Oracle DB to grab into, so I will be happy with a
multi-DBMS solution.

>> The Ada code would steer DBs through simple SQL queries.
>> It also would call stored procedures - are these MS-specific ?
>>
> Stored procedures could be a problem, especially if you want to keep
> some portability. Can't you do the equivalent on the Ada side?

Indeed yes, and I will do it that way, especially because the
[sort of] language for stored procedures is very limited and clumsy enough.

Thank you also to everybody who helped me in that topic!

@ 2006-04-16 18:49   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2006-04-16 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Browne:

> After a long battle with technology, Gautier <gautier@fakeaddress.nil>, an earthling, wrote:
>> What do you recommend as an open-source, reliable package (or set of
>> packages) to access MS SQL server 2000/2005 DBs (hopefully these
>> versions are not of importance) ?
>
> When none of Microsoft's software is "open source," it doesn't make
> much sense to expect to use "OSS" anything with it.  That's not
> consistent with the "Microsoft Way."

It is exactly what I need: something inconsistent with the Microsoft Way.
As you can guess, it is not _my_ database, then I cannot get rid of _that thing_,
but since you can can produce software also for Windows, without any of
Microsoft's tools, you can still make your life better on the software side.
The need of OSS corresponds to developing a (for a time) personal
toolbox in a corporate environment where IT people are brainwashed by Microsoft
and where other people think that it is absolutely normal that "the" language
(say VB.Net) changes every two years its way of storing arrays, its default
parameters passing convention, etc.
I'm sure it sounds somethings to people here...