From: Poul-Erik Andreasen <poulerik@pea.dk>
Subject: Re: Ada in Debian: gnat-4.1 is now in testing
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 14:27:22 +0200
Date: 2006-04-07T14:27:22+02:00	[thread overview]

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Thanks Poul-Erik. Messages like these are a good incentive for me to
> keep on working.
>
> Someone asked me privately about 64-bit support in GtkAda, and I
> thought I'd clarify the situation once more here, as this information
> may be of general interest.
>
> The transition to gnat-4.1 is in progress but still in early stages.
> Like I said, my first patches are not even public yet.  I will try to
> provide 64-bit binary packages only after I'm done with the compiler,
> because a 64-bit compiler is a prerequiste for any 64-bit binary
> packages (d'oh).  I'm not sure yet how much work is needed for good
> biarch support in gnat, but basically I want to make sure that both
> -m32 and -m64 work, and that libgnat has both 32-bit and 64-bit
> versions.  Since I don't have 64-bit hardware, I cannot do this by
> myself, so I will rely on input from people who are sufficiently
> interested in biarch to invest some of their time into it.  Or, maybe
> someone could sponsor me and buy me a 64-bit laptop?  My workhorse is
> starting to show its age (it's an IBM ThinkPad T22 from 2001
> with an Intel Pentium III @900 MHz - a bit slow to build GCC).

That is a issue for me to i have resently puchased a brandnew amd64
workstation, and i will just mention that all af the 32-bit systems
works perfectly in a chroot inviroment, so i suggest you take all the
time nessasary.

Unfortunaly i dont have the means to sponsor you a new machine, but i am
willing to test some eksperimental packages if you like.

PEA