From: Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net>
To: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: GNAT GPL vs non-GPL compatible open source license
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:18:02 +0200
Date: 2005-10-15T11:18:05+02:00	[thread overview]

Ludovic,

> However, after I do the transition to a newer GNAT, I will want to
> package AWS 2.1 which is under pure GPL.  At that point, I will not be
> able to distribute binaries linked with OpenSSL.  I may either drop
> the SSL functionality, or try to use GNU TLS instead of OpenSSL.  In
> fact, if Pascal and Dmitriy are listening, it would help me quite a
> lot if you would consider doing this in the next release of AWS.  (It
> would also help if you would call it AWS 3.0, because Debian policy
> requires that the soname change if the binary interface changes).

I'm listening. No surprise here, the move from OpenSSL to GNU/TLS is in
the TODO since the early days. We wanted to use GNU/TLS but when we
started to look at this with Dmitriy it was still beta. At this point
GNU/TLS is mature and we are considering using it instead of OpenSSL.
Note that this is not something we can do without lot of thinking and
testing as the SSL layer is very sensitive.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|