From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: Please review and comment
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:47:12 GMT
Date: 2001-08-02T03:47:12+00:00	[thread overview]

>What about putting links or information about how to -start- programming in
>Ada? I'm more confused on how to get it, say a simple hello world, running
>as opposed to problems with strings and arrays. I dont know which
>program/compiler to download, or what extension I need on my file, or
>anything simple of that sorts.
  Aonix (look at www.aonix.com) makes available a $0 downloadable version.
I believe it's IDE is like that of Visual C++ .
  You can get the public version of Gnat (3.13p for Windows, IIRC).  Look
at www.adapower.com  For simple command line use, create a program in
a text file of arbitrary name and the gnatchop program.  That will
chop a file in separate pieces, creating abc.ads for "package abc" and
abc.adb for "package body abc" or "procedure abc".  Then, if "procedure hi"
is your "main", "gnatmake hi" will compile hi.adb and anything it needs.
Look in www.adapower.com for non-command line IDEs for Gnat, if you like.

>All these different names about Gtk+, AdaGtk, etc, etc.. are very confusing
>for a newbie to Ada like me.
  For Hello World you don't need any of those - ignore them for now.
They are there to simplify life for complex "WIMP" programming.