* Re: AdaOS on hiatus?
       [not found] <pan.2005.10.14.21.32.50.823052@nowhere.net>
@ 2005-10-13 22:14 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2005-10-13 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Freejack wrote:
> I've been surfing the adaos.net website looking for docs and maybe some
> preliminary source code. I havent had much luck. Has anyone done any work
> on the project yet?
>
> I've been contemplating writing my own kernel in Ada(using an exokernel
> rather than a microkernel design.) But I'd rather jump in on a project
> already in motion.
>
> Any news?
>
> Freejack

It has been in early planning stages for years along with concepts about
writing a new compiler. It is not likely to go anywehere.

Linux exists because one person decided to start small and actually
create something. AdaOS is thinking too big and has currently bitten off
too big of a chunk.

I even considered going to http://www.longbets.org/ and putting up money
on this.

Start your own and maybe others will join in.

* Re: AdaOS on hiatus?
@ 2005-10-14 14:08   ` Stephane Riviere
From: Stephane Riviere @ 2005-10-14 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Creem

>> I've been contemplating writing my own kernel in Ada(using an exokernel
>> rather than a microkernel design.) But I'd rather jump in on a project
>> already in motion.

There is a very fine guy, Xavier Grave, who is really making Ada OS
code... http://ipnnarval.in2p3.fr/~xavier/

There is also a mailing-list about "Tiny Lovelace" (prototype) &
"Lovelace" (final) projects here : lovelace@rochebrune.org

It's a long term project but Xavier is working hard about it.

--
Stephane Riviere
Oleron Island - France

@ 2005-10-14 22:44 ` Rod Haper
From: Rod Haper @ 2005-10-14 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Freejack wrote:
> I've been surfing the adaos.net website looking for docs and maybe some
> preliminary source code. I havent had much luck. Has anyone done any work
> on the project yet?
>
> I've been contemplating writing my own kernel in Ada(using an exokernel
> rather than a microkernel design.) But I'd rather jump in on a project
> already in motion.
>
> Any news?
>
> Freejack

Although it it not in Ada, you might be interested to know that Trevor
Parscal has just started a D-language project named Titan to write an
exokernel based OS in D.  See the threads "Operating System in D" and
"Titan" on the D-language d.D forum at news.digitalmars.com and the
project homepage on dsource.org: http://www.dsource.org/projects/titan/
The exokernel OS methodology [http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/exo.html] is an
interesting departure from the traditional monolithic and
microkernel-based OS archetectures.

---
Rod

* Re: AdaOS on hiatus?
@ 2005-10-14 23:05       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-10-14 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Freejack <freejack@nowhere.net> writes:

>> There is a very fine guy, Xavier Grave, who is really making Ada OS
>> code... http://ipnnarval.in2p3.fr/~xavier/
>>
>> There is also a mailing-list about "Tiny Lovelace" (prototype) &
>> "Lovelace" (final) projects here : lovelace@rochebrune.org
>>
>> It's a long term project but Xavier is working hard about it.
>
> Looks good. The source is easy to follow. The website is a little opaque(I
> can't read French.) It'd be great if there was a design document somewhere
> describing the goals of the OS.
>
> I'll look it over some more. Looks good so far.
>
> Freejack

The design document exists and is very good, but is also in French.
It consists of a series of articles in GNU/Linux Magazine France that
has been going on for many months.  The articles are very detailed and
provide all the necessary knowledge.  These articles are about the
Simple Operating System (SOS) (http://sos.enix.org).

I would like to recommend GNU/Linux Magazine France because of an
unrelated series of articles teaching Ada; the September 2005 issue
contains the fifth article in the series, about records.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: AdaOS on hiatus?
@ 2005-10-15 11:31         ` Lionel Draghi
From: Lionel Draghi @ 2005-10-15 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta a �crit :
>>>There is also a mailing-list about "Tiny Lovelace" (prototype) &
>>>"Lovelace" (final) projects here : lovelace@rochebrune.org
>>>
>>>It's a long term project but Xavier is working hard about it.
>>
>>Looks good. The source is easy to follow. The website is a little opaque(I
>>can't read French.)
Another link : http://medias.2005.rencontresmondiales.org/topics/os/

Abstract are in english, but more interesting, there is an audio
recording of Xavier's speech into the technical topic entitled Operating
system design and implementation. In french :-)
He explains the pro of writing an OS in Ada.

Note that, until now, main Toy Lovelace's goal was to learn OS
fundamentals, not to build a new OS (like AdaOS). So don't expect a
micro/nano/exo/whatever kernel design.

--
Lionel Draghi
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Book_of_the_month/September_2005