From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <devnull@mailinator.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT GPL Edition - on the plus side
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:12:07 +0200
Date: 2005-10-14T12:12:07+02:00	[thread overview]

randomm@mindless.com wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>>My experience:
>>
>>GNAT GPL Edition includes the first version of GPS I have run on Windows
>>that I haven't removed after a few days of frustration.
>

> I think GPS is dreadful; it has an outmoded look and feel and I am
> probably missing something, but it never seems to remember the most
> recent project, instead defaulting to the BIN installation directory
> which is very frustrating.   When it comes time to buy a compiler and
> IDE, I'll be looking for a toolset which is a little friendlier and
> more modern-looking.

I'm over the fence on GPS. In one hand, it gets better and better with
each release, but is kind of an "Ada beast", you feel quite alone using
it. On the other hand, I recently tried Eclipse and was stunned; it's
amazing. Sometimes I fantasize over the idea that Adacore invested
effort in a full featured Eclipse plugin*. The idea that you're in the
same boat with a lot of other developers outside of the Ada world is
attractive for me.

[*] I know that there's one for sale by <argh, memory fails>, and at
least two voluntary efforts going on.