From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam@spam.com>
Subject: Re: Heap vs Stack allocation
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:44:10 GMT
Date: 2005-10-12T05:44:10+00:00	[thread overview]

Randy Brukardt wrote:

> That said, I think the more information that the programmer can provide the
> compiler about what they're doing, the better code that can be generated.
> I'm still convinced that, given a big enough budget, an Ada compiler can
> produce faster and smaller programs than that for any of the other
> "contenders". But you'd need an Ada-specific optimizer to take full
> advantage of the information that Ada provides, and it's probably not cost
> effective to create those.

There seems to be an existence proof for this: the Tartan Ada-83 compilers had
excellent optimizers. It was a Tartan compiler that resulted in the "Ada Beats
Assembler" article; the compiler produced smaller and faster code than
hand-optimized assembler from a team of experts. There was also an interesting
article on Tartan's benchmarks that they used to sell their C compilers. The Ada
version was faster than the C version. The article listed the Ada features that
allowed this. True arrays was one such feature.

I'm speaking from memory; I don't have the articles around. They were in /Ada
Letters/ in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

--
Jeff Carter
"Go and boil your bottoms."