* SIGAda Workshop
@ 2005-09-01  5:27 rleif
From: rleif @ 2005-09-01  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to post this once; but I could not find it  on Comp.Lang.Ada

I am chairing a workshop/BOF on Commercializing Ada at SIGAda 2005 on
Wednesday November 16.  Since, I have the biased opinion that
progressive software is a better means of promoting the use of Ada than
free software (GNU), I wish to invite anyone who believes that free
software is a better approach to present his or her views.  The major
differences between free and Progressive software is that under the
latter, the developers get royalties on their work and the purchasers
are free to do what they want provided it does not impair the
developers' royalties.

I also wish to explore the possibility of a vendor or group hosting an
Ada compiler under Microsoft Visual Studio including use of Ada
enhanced versions of the elements of the Visual Studio environment
(editor, debugger, etc.).  Has anyone created a product for Windows CE
or Windows XP embedded or produced an application with A# in the Visual
Studio environment?  Presentations on experience with the combination
of XML and Ada will be most welcome.

Anyone, who has any other ideas, thoughts, etc. on how to increase the
use of Ada in commercial markets including how we can leverage the
present use of Ada for defense and aerospace, is invited to present.

All are invited to attend and participate.
Since I am flooded with spam, please put the word Ada in the Subject
Heading of any reply to this message.

Thank you.
Bob Leif
rleif@rleif.com

* Re: SIGAda Workshop
@ 2005-09-01  7:11 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2005-09-01  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I tried to post this once; but I could not find it  on Comp.Lang.Ada
>
>I am chairing a workshop/BOF on Commercializing Ada at SIGAda 2005 on
   I recall seeing it before, so your posting does seem to work OK.

* Re: SIGAda Workshop
@ 2005-09-01 12:03 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2005-09-01 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

rleif wrote:
> I tried to post this once; but I could not find it  on Comp.Lang.Ada
>
> I am chairing a workshop/BOF on Commercializing Ada at SIGAda 2005 on
> Wednesday November 16.  Since, I have the biased opinion that
> progressive software is a better means of promoting the use of Ada than
> free software (GNU), I wish to invite anyone who believes that free
> software is a better approach to present his or her views.  The major
> differences between free and Progressive software is that under the
> latter, the developers get royalties on their work and the purchasers
> are free to do what they want provided it does not impair the
> developers' royalties.

IIRC, Dr. Carlise has announced integration of A# with MS Visual
Studio tools. So how does this fit the free-Progressive
distinction?

Just having read about "The Classification Struggle", and about
the power that comes from defining things, let me ask for a view
that - subject to falsification - dissects the values "GNU" and
"Progressive", and places the pieces that make up these notions
on at least three rather othogonal axes, by way of correlation:
payment, rights to use, and political attitude of the decision
maker.

* Re: SIGAda Workshop
@ 2005-09-01 12:30   ` rleif
From: rleif @ 2005-09-01 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Although A# works to some extent with Visual Studio, I do not believe
that it has been fully integrated into Visual Studio development
environment. It appears that the debugger and editing tools are not
aware of Ada. I admit that I am no expert on this.  I hope to be able
to obtain a clarification at the Microsoft presentation at SIGAda on
how compilers that are not made by Microsoft can be fully integrated
into their system.

Has anyone built an application with A#?

Bob Leif

* Re: SIGAda Workshop
@ 2005-09-01 15:36     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-09-01 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rleif

rleif a �crit :

> Has anyone built an application with A#?

Depending on what you call an application. I built an Hello World like
A# program and run it on GNU/Linux Mono. Worked fine. I wanted to have
it executed on a PocketPC platform, but I was never able to do so...

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: SIGAda Workshop
@ 2005-09-04 21:55       ` Rob Veenker
From: Rob Veenker @ 2005-09-04 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> rleif a ï¿œcrit :
>
>> Has anyone built an application with A#?
>
> Depending on what you call an application. I built an Hello World like
> A# program and run it on GNU/Linux Mono. Worked fine. I wanted to have
> it executed on a PocketPC platform, but I was never able to do so...
>
> Pascal.

The .Net compact framework indeed has limitations that also affect the A#
runtime. A special monitor class was added to allow tasking to work with A#
as well.
I have successfully built applications for the .Net compact framework using
A# and run on a PocketPC device (including the emulated device that comes
with the Visual Studio :-)
As I recall there was a problem with A# for the .Net compact framework
regarding the reference to the right mscorlib for PocketPC.

regards,

Rob Veenker

* Re: SIGAda Workshop
@ 2005-09-05  6:13         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-09-05  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: veenker

Rob Veenker a ï¿œcrit :
> The .Net compact framework indeed has limitations that also affect the A#
> runtime. A special monitor class was added to allow tasking to work with A#
> as well.
> I have successfully built applications for the .Net compact framework using
> A# and run on a PocketPC device (including the emulated device that comes
> with the Visual Studio :-)
> As I recall there was a problem with A# for the .Net compact framework
> regarding the reference to the right mscorlib for PocketPC.

Ok, sounds interesting! Do you have more information to share? What is
the proper procedure to have A# code runing on a PocketPC ?

Thanks,
Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: SIGAda Workshop
@ 2005-09-07 18:42           ` Rob Veenker
From: Rob Veenker @ 2005-09-07 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I am not sure about the latest version of MGNAT. Maybe you will need to
recompile the libraries (mgnat and mgnatcs in dll_include) using the cygwin
environment.
I asume the .Net compact framework (1.1) is already installed on the PDA...
First you copy these files onto the PDA lets say in a directory called
\program files\mgnat
Next, create a file called mgnat.gac containing 2 lines:
\program files\mgnat\mgnat.dll
\program files\mgnat\mgnatcs.dll

(You may want to add your own assembly)
Now copy mgnat.gac onto the PDA in the \Windows directory. Once a .Net
program is run that refers to mgnat(cs), the dll's will be registered into
the gac on the PDA

You may now create an Ada program i.e.: mgnatmake -compact hello.adb
and copy and run it on the PDA

That should do the trick.

Regards,
Rob