* XML/Ada 1.0 - SAX - Attribute converted from String to Integer
@ 2005-08-27 17:29 Frank
From: Frank @ 2005-08-27 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I am programming an interface that reads an XML file, that contains integers
in Attributes.

E.g

<Data height="21" width="91"></Data>

I am using SAX from XML/Ada 1.0. I wish to retrieve the data from the
attributes (e.g from height) and put them into
variables of their respective types in Ada (Integers)

Current solution:
I have created:
package XML_Integer_IO is new Ada.Text_IO.Integer_IO(Integer);

I Get_Value the height fromt the element and get Unicode.CES.Byte_Sequence
as result.
I converted this Unicode.CES.Byte_Sequence to String
Then I use Get from XML_Integer_IO to grab the integer out of the string
into a Integer variable.

Is this the way it should be done? I would imagine some kind of
"Get_Value_As_Integer" readymade in the XML library.

Frank

* Re: XML/Ada 1.0 - SAX - Attribute converted from String to Integer
@ 2005-08-27 20:58 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2005-08-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

You could use Ada.Integer_Text_IO, which is a ready-prepared
instantiation; or you could try Integer'Value (your-string).

Note the latter works for any scalar type.

* Re: XML/Ada 1.0 - SAX - Attribute converted from String to Integer
@ 2005-08-28 19:32 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2005-08-28 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank wrote:

> I would imagine some kind of
> "Get_Value_As_Integer" readymade in the XML library.

Not really in an XML library, as an XML document is just text,
and XML proper is only aware of it's own types. These do not
include numeric types. (SGML has them, syntax-wise.)

 Relax NG adds support for type libraries, XML Schema defines
some basic types. These types may or may not match the types
used in Ada programs. But XML Schema type value notations
and Ada value notations are not 1:1, so XML is really an
external format.

Once you have an XML attribute value as a String value,
you can use the features that Simon Wright has suggested.