From: Jerry Petrey <jdpetreyAPPENDIX@raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Book recommendation
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:00:06 -0700
Date: 2005-07-12T08:00:06-07:00	[thread overview]

Maciej Sobczak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a computer programmer with C++ experience. Currently I work in the
> real-time environment and I would like to broaden my perspective on
> languages and tools that can be effectively used in the area of
> real-time, distributed and concurrent programming.
>
> Note that very likely I will *not* be using Ada professionally.
>
> There are two books that I found and that I think would help me:
>
> - Programming in Ada 95 (Barnes)
> - Concurrency in Ada (Barns)
>
> I learned that Ada community is preparing for the new standard release
> this year.
>
> My questions are:
> - Would you recommend these two books (which focus on Ada95) anyway?
> - Are there any changes planned in the *relevant* parts of the language
> that would render these two books outright obsolete?
> - Or maybe there are new editions planned for later this year (I don't
> mind waiting)?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Maciej Sobczak : http://www.msobczak.com/
> Programming    : http://www.msobczak.com/prog/

They are both outstanding books along with "Ada 95 as a Second Language".
I like Barnes' book best for learning the language.  He was, after all, one of
the creators of the original Ada 83.

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey, CFI - GNC Software Engineer, Raytheon Missile Systems
-- "The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams
--  of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only
--  stare skyward ... and wish."
--
-- NOTE: please perform appendectomy on email address before replying