From: Jerry Petrey <jdpetreyAPPENDIX@raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:47:34 -0700
Date: 2005-06-24T14:47:34-07:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic wrote:

> In doing some research into other things, I bumped into the Joint
> Tactical Radio System (JTRS). This appears to be a relatively new
> initiative by the DoD and from what I can gather, they seem to want to
> open it up to some extent to commercial applications.
>
> Given that its all pretty new stuff, it looks like an opportunity for
> Ada to be a player in an emerging market - or at least a big DoD
> project. Does anybody know anything about the programming language(s)
> being used to develop versions of this radio? It looks like it is
> intended to have some sort of underlying OS and an API and then "radio
> apps" can be written to go on top of this and reconfigure the unit to
> different uses.
>
> Google turns up lots of stuff, but most of what I can find is not of a
> "Tutorial" nature. (Lots of stuff written in government-programese that
> talks about how wonderful its going to be one day.) It really does look
> like an opportunity for Ada if it hasn't already been locked up in some
> other language because of the possibility of writing numerous
> application programs for something relatively new in the world. Does
> anybody know much about this?
>
> MDC

Marin,

We have just begun to work with JTRS on my project but Raytheon overall has
been heavily involved with it for some time.
Definitely some work is being done in Ada.  The Army in Huntsville has done
some good work on VMF (Variable Format Messages) handling software in Ada that
they will share with DOD contractors.  We are looking at it to support some
upcoming demos.
I agree with you that it is a good place for Ada to get a foothold.

Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey, - GNC Software Engineer, Raytheon Missile Systems
--
-- NOTE: please perform appendectomy on email address before replying