* ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-17 20:37 Rebecca & Firinde
From: Rebecca & Firinde @ 2005-06-17 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am looking for an Ada API to access Microsoft Spreadsheets, on Windows.
Needed operations are simple like open, close a workbook, open a sheet and
access a cell /read & write).

Thanks.

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-17 21:12 ` Stephen Leake
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephen Leake @ 2005-06-17 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rebecca & Firinde; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

"Rebecca & Firinde" <fteylouni@mydiax.ch> writes:

> I am looking for an Ada API to access Microsoft Spreadsheets, on Windows.
> Needed operations are simple like open, close a workbook, open a sheet and
> access a cell /read & write).

I have not done it, but GNATCOM can generate an Ada binding to the COM
interface to Excel.

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnavi/ for GNATCOM.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-17 21:12 ` Marius Amado Alves
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2005-06-17 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> I am looking for an Ada API to access Microsoft Spreadsheets, on
> Windows.

Sometime ago I looked for this and didn't find it. My solution was
generating a file format that Excel could import (I thing it was
';'-delimited). Of course if you need live, direct interaction with
Excel this won't do.

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-17 23:06   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2005-06-17 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I have not done it, but GNATCOM can generate an Ada binding to the COM
>interface to Excel.
   Where might one find a .tlb file and an API description for the COM
interface to Excel?

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-18  4:24 ` John B. Matthews
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John B. Matthews @ 2005-06-18  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <TuGse.1682$hV3.658@nntpserver.swip.net>,
 "Rebecca & Firinde" <fteylouni@mydiax.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an Ada API to access Microsoft Spreadsheets, on Windows.
> Needed operations are simple like open, close a workbook, open a sheet and
> access a cell /read & write).
>
> Thanks.

If you can write a servlet or cgi program in Ada, you can set the
content type to "application/vnd.ms-excel" and output tab delimited
text. When you fetch the corresponding page, many browsers will save it
as an Excel file.

--
John
jmatthews at wright dot edu

* Re: ADA Excel API
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-18  8:30 ` Pascal Obry
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-06-18  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rebecca & Firinde" <fteylouni@mydiax.ch> writes:

> I am looking for an Ada API to access Microsoft Spreadsheets, on Windows.
> Needed operations are simple like open, close a workbook, open a sheet and
> access a cell /read & write).

Does Excel support SOAP Web Services? If so you could use AWS.

Another option, as others have pointed to you and as I pointed to you in
fr.comp.lang.ada, is to use GNATCOM.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-18 13:17     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2005-06-18 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tmoran; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

tmoran@acm.org writes:

>>I have not done it, but GNATCOM can generate an Ada binding to the COM
>>interface to Excel.
>    Where might one find a .tlb file and an API description for the COM
> interface to Excel?

That I don't know. Try asking on the gnavi list; a while ago, someone
there reported interfacing to Microsoft Word via GNATCOM.

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnavi/ for the gnavi list.

Here's the specific link to that report:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=11390072

On the other hand, typing "word type library" into the search box at
www.microsoft.com leads to this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;143434

That says the type library was provided with Word 97. I have Word
2002; Msword*.olb is not on my disk. Searching for *.tlb and *.olb
turned up quite a bit of stuff, but nothing that looks like Word.

There is also lots of other information in the Microsoft search
results, but nothing that jumps up and says "here's the Word API".

This link looks like a good starting point:

It may be that you have to buy an MS developer's license.

Good luck!

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-18 17:37       ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2005-06-18 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> tmoran@acm.org writes:
>

>>>I have not done it, but GNATCOM can generate an Ada binding to the COM
>>>interface to Excel.
>>
>>   Where might one find a .tlb file and an API description for the COM
>>interface to Excel?
>

> That I don't know. Try asking on the gnavi list; a while ago, someone
> there reported interfacing to Microsoft Word via GNATCOM.
>
> See http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnavi/ for the gnavi list.
>
> Here's the specific link to that report:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=11390072
>
> On the other hand, typing "word type library" into the search box at
> www.microsoft.com leads to this page:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;143434
>
> That says the type library was provided with Word 97. I have Word
> 2002; Msword*.olb is not on my disk. Searching for *.tlb and *.olb
> turned up quite a bit of stuff, but nothing that looks like Word.
>
> There is also lots of other information in the Microsoft search
> results, but nothing that jumps up and says "here's the Word API".
>
> This link looks like a good starting point:

> It may be that you have to buy an MS developer's license.
>
> Good luck!

Bindcom works on more than just type libraries. It will run on .dlls and
.exes that have the appropriate information in them.

There used to be (perhaps still is) a tool called gbmanager that David
distributed as a separate download with GNATCOM .

It showed you everything that was installed (registered) on your system
that you could use to create COM bndings.

Running it now it looks like with office XP that you can run using
excel.exe and get a hundred or so Ada binding files for excel.

* Re: ADA Excel API
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-18 20:00 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2005-06-18 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:37:34 +0200, Rebecca & Firinde wrote:

> I am looking for an Ada API to access Microsoft Spreadsheets, on Windows.
> Needed operations are simple like open, close a workbook, open a sheet and
> access a cell /read & write).

If you are familiar with SQL, you can use GNADE ODBC bindings (Exell tables
are accessible through ODBC.)

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: ADA Excel API
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-18 21:48 ` Gautier Write-only
From: Gautier Write-only @ 2005-06-18 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rebecca & Firinde:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an Ada API to access Microsoft Spreadsheets, on Windows.
> Needed operations are simple like open, close a workbook, open a sheet and
> access a cell /read & write).

A weak but easy solution is to use DDE (an old MS technology).
You can do all you describe with it.
Look at win_paqs.zip, dde_test.adb, part about Excel.

HTH
Gautier     --     http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/index.htm
Ada programming -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-21  6:11     ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2005-06-21  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:06:51 -0500 schrieb <tmoran@acm.org>:

>> I have not done it, but GNATCOM can generate an Ada binding to the COM
>> interface to Excel.
>    Where might one find a .tlb file and an API description for the COM
> interface to Excel?

Run bindcom e.g. on XL5EN32.olb

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-22  8:29       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2005-06-22  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Run bindcom e.g. on XL5EN32.olb
results in:
GNATCOM.ERRORS.COM_ERROR
HRESULT (2147654730) : Error loading type library/DLL.

I ran a different Ada binding generator on XL5EN32.OLB and it ran to
completion.  I also ran both on EXCEL9.OLB, where both generated
partial results before complaining and quiting.

Is there a naming convention or something or how should a person
learn that excel's tlb is named XL5EN32.OLB?  That's not very obvious.

The two files were:
EXCEL9  .OLB  638976 03/19/99 13:00:32
XL5EN32 .OLB  228864 01/06/99 16:50:18

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-22 10:59         ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2005-06-22 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:29:18 -0500 schrieb <tmoran@acm.org>:

>> Run bindcom e.g. on XL5EN32.olb
> results in:
> GNATCOM.ERRORS.COM_ERROR
> HRESULT (2147654730) : Error loading type library/DLL.

If i remember right, i got this error too in one of my attempts. But after
rebuilding GNATCOM all worked fine.

> I ran a different Ada binding generator on XL5EN32.OLB and it ran to
> completion.  I also ran both on EXCEL9.OLB, where both generated
> partial results before complaining and quiting.
>
> Is there a naming convention or something or how should a person
> learn that excel's tlb is named XL5EN32.OLB?  That's not very obvious.

Agreed. I scanned the office directory for all kinds of type libraries and
found it. The MS-Poets excel themselves in creativity.
BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-22 12:56           ` Frank J. Lhota
                             ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-22 12:56           ` Frank J. Lhota
                             ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-22 12:57           ` Frank J. Lhota
                             ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-22 13:00           ` Frank J. Lhota
                             ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
                             ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-22 13:00           ` Frank J. Lhota
                             ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
                             ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-22 13:12           ` Frank J. Lhota
                             ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
                             ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-22 15:02           ` Frank J. Lhota
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
                             ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-22 15:17           ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
                             ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-22 15:17           ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
                             ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-22 15:17           ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron wrote:
> BTW: Does anybody know what the EXCEL acronym means?

I think the name EXCEL refers to the fact that a spreadsheet is made up
of cells. In other words, EXCEL is a pun, not a acronym.

> Frank piron

* Re: ADA Excel API
@ 2005-06-22 15:19             ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2005-06-22 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I only meant to send this once. I'm having problems with my
newsgroup account. :(

* Re: ADA Excel API
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-05  6:53 ` bubble
From: bubble @ 2005-07-05  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

another way.

Excel 97 SDK provide a C API to call excel.
you can search "Xloper" and "Excel 97 SDK" in google