From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <devnull@mailinator.com>
Subject: Re: Profiling GNAT programs with gprof
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:00:12 +0200
Date: 2005-06-07T19:00:12+02:00	[thread overview]

Alfred Hilscher wrote:
> Has someone experience with gprof and GNAT? It seem to work when I
> profile sequential programs, but if I have tasks in my code then the
> result of gprof seem invalid. E.g. a procedure called only three times
> at all is listed as about 10000 calls. And while the over all runtime of
> the prog is about 2 sec, gprof shows the consumed time for this
> procedure with a few thousands seconds.
> It looks like as if the statistik counters were not initialized. What
> have I to do, to get correct results?
> I use GNAT 3.15p and Windows 2000.

I did this in the past in the same platform as you, also with a
multitasking program. I don't remember seeing unexpected counter values.
   Have you a simple test program to highligth this problem? I could try
to run it and compare results.

If I'm not mistaken, the timing problem can arise from the way gprof
computes time: each call is given a fixed diferential duration. So that
can artificially inflate the times reported. But you should check this
in the documentation, I may be confused about this behavior.