From: Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Dr Dobbs dismisses Ada
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:03:55 +0200
Date: 2005-05-20T17:03:40+02:00	[thread overview]

REH wrote:
> "cdm" <charlie.mccutcheon@hp.com> wrote in message

>>The out of work programmers I know say you need very specific marketable
>>skills to get a job nowadays.

> I don't know what types of jobs your friends say they've applied for or what
> "specific marketable skills" they think you need.

Here (de_DE) there are those employers who will ask you "Do you know X well?"
and if you don't know X well, they say, "Sorry, not at the moment.".

This then means they currently have a customer who wants someone on
site to do a small job for a number of days, or for just a few weeks.
The optimum candidate is someone who doesn't need
to be trained. Skills of interest: latest Microsoft technology, PHP, etc.

This is of course free riding, or call it "clever", because
the employer is trying to avoid training/learning costs, and instead
only employs immediate cash cow people. In return, the employee is told
that he/she needs to work for this employer for only a year or so and
then is free to work for the then former employer's customers etc. at a
more reasonable net wage. Or wait, maybe not ...

(In cases, talented students are among their favorites, because they are
motivated yet very cost effective in that the non-wage labor
costs are low for students here (no unemployment insurance contribution
to make etc.). This practice isn't welcome by every professor, because
they think that students should learn, wherever that happens, including
at some commercial company.)

-- Georg

Georg Bauhaus                              bauhaus@futureapps.de
Future Apps GmbH                        http://www.futureapps.de