* Trouble with Ada.Streams.Stream_Element
@ 2005-04-19 23:27 Frank Gerlach
From: Frank Gerlach @ 2005-04-19 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is defined as follows:
type Stream_Element is mod 2 ** Standard'Storage_Unit;
I would like to convert it to an INTEGER.
How do I do this ?

Thanks for helping a newbie !

* Re: Trouble with Ada.Streams.Stream_Element
@ 2005-04-19 23:46 ` Eric Jacoboni
From: Eric Jacoboni @ 2005-04-19 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

frankgerlach@gmail.com (Frank Gerlach) writes:

> type Stream_Element is mod 2 ** Standard'Storage_Unit;
> I would like to convert it to an INTEGER.
> How do I do this ?

What about:  Integer(A_Stream_Element) ?

--
�ric Jacoboni, n� il y a 1417398326 secondes

* Re: Trouble with Ada.Streams.Stream_Element
@ 2005-04-20  0:05 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2005-04-20  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Gerlach; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

frankgerlach@gmail.com (Frank Gerlach) writes:

> It is defined as follows:
> type Stream_Element is mod 2 ** Standard'Storage_Unit;
> I would like to convert it to an INTEGER.
> How do I do this ?

Stream_Element is already a perfectly good numeric type; why do you
want to convert it to another numeric type?

If it's because you want to write it to a text file, instantiating
Ada.Text_IO.Modular_IO is better.

But if you insist, this is just a numeric type conversion:

A : Stream_Element := 2;
B : Integer := Integer (A);

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Trouble with Ada.Streams.Stream_Element
@ 2005-04-20  1:21 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2005-04-20  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Gerlach wrote:
> It is defined as follows:
> type Stream_Element is mod 2 ** Standard'Storage_Unit;
> I would like to convert it to an INTEGER.
> How do I do this ?
>
> Thanks for helping a newbie !

Have you had a chance to look at some stream examples?
For example, you could use

 Integer'read(your_input_stream, your_integer_variable);

Usually a program just reads from a stream, it doesn't
have to look at individual bits.

Or are you implementing a new stream class?

-- Georg