From: John Perry <john.perry@usm.edu>
Subject: Re: Advent of Code day 2
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 15:45:25 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 4:47:34 PM UTC-6, Stephen Leake wrote:
> This is an example of the customer problem spec not being complete; in
> the example, all the letter positions are single digit, so my first
> draft assumed that, which made finding the values trivial. But then the
> real input has 1 or 2 digit numbers.

I scanned the file and noticed the positions had up to two digits. But I also used Integer_IO's Get, so I don't think it mattered.

> ...I should have used Gnatcoll.regexp.

I was wondering if there was a pattern matching library I could use, and had wanted to ask that, but forgot.

> (just out of curiosity; what development environments are you all using?)

GPS, and learning about it as I go, which unfortunately is a bit odd on MacOS Catalina. It has some strange behaviors (e.g., dialogs pop up as full screen tabs), and since AdaCore won't support GPS on MacOS anymore, I should look at something else. I like IntelliJ's Idea a lot, but my vague recollection is that its Ada plugins are primitive.

> I was hoping to use 'Reduce in the sled rental count, but GNAT Community
> 2020 -gnat2020 -gnatX doesn't support that.

May I ask what you mean by, "Reduce in the sled rental count"? I'm starting to wonder if we're talking about puzzles from different years.

john perry