From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <devnull@mailinator.com>
Subject: Re: Web-enabling Ada with AWS, Mon 11 Apr 2005 20:00, Ada-Belgium
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:30:49 +0100
Date: 2005-03-22T15:30:49+01:00	[thread overview]

Jeff C wrote:
> Alex R. Mosteo wrote:
>
>> Dirk Craeynest wrote:
>>
>>> 20:00-20:15 - Eclipse plug-in for Ada (ObjectAda or GNAT)
>>> Speaker
>>> Patricia Langle, Aonix France
>>

>> I keep hearing about this Eclipse IDE. They chant excellences, at
>> least for its original Java usage. Does anyone know what would be the
>> extent of such a plug-in? Could it eventually be an alternative to GPS?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Alex.
>

> I know several developers that love it for Java and C++. Several vendors
> are also embracing it as the base framework for hosting their tools
> (e.g. Wind River's new tool suite is eclipse based).
>
> It clearly is an alternative to GPS (not saying it is a better or worse
> alternative...but it is one). It does not "appear" to be open source. It
> certainly is not freely downloadable last time I checked.

This has changed or something (I had the idea it has always been open
source), since I already downloaded and installed it some time ago, but
then I never did any development with it. I've just launched it off and
there's no restrictions apparently.

See:

http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/faq/eclipse-faq.html#about_8

Though I've been looking for a source package in the downloads section
and I don't see it. Maybe it's included in the installable package.

> If you are willing to give up on free then I think that IBM Ada
> Developer (Rational Apex family) is still a pretty compelling
> environment as well (as an alternative to GPS)

Not the case here. Until very recently I used almost exclusively a vi
clone. Now I use GPS too, but I'm used to not having much bells and
whistles.

Though I'm excited about using a leading IDE platform. One of the things
about Ada is that you feel sometimes isolated, since you use tools
nobody else uses. I'm curious about having something else in common with
other OSS developers, if the language can't be.