* Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
@ 2005-03-03 14:29 Simone Freouble
From: Simone Freouble @ 2005-03-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am new to Ada. Can some Ada gurus/experts recommend me a freeware and/or
"low-cost"/academic/student version of an Ada Compiler+Debugger+GUI
development IDE for WindowsXP and/or Linux (Fedore Core3) ?

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
@ 2005-03-03 14:38 ` Erlo Haugen
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Erlo Haugen @ 2005-03-03 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simone Freouble wrote:

> I am new to Ada. Can some Ada gurus/experts recommend me a freeware and/or
> "low-cost"/academic/student version of an Ada Compiler+Debugger+GUI
> development IDE for WindowsXP and/or Linux (Fedore Core3) ?

Gnat with GPS (work on Windoze, don't know about Linux). Emacs has
Ada-mode. Gcc (newer versions) does Ada, too.

--
Erlo
-----

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
@ 2005-03-03 14:46 ` Adrien Plisson
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Adrien Plisson @ 2005-03-03 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simone Freouble wrote:
> I am new to Ada. Can some Ada gurus/experts recommend me a freeware and/or
> "low-cost"/academic/student version of an Ada Compiler+Debugger+GUI
> development IDE for WindowsXP and/or Linux (Fedore Core3) ?

see <http://www.adapower.com/faq/>

gnat (compiler) is freeware, comes bundled with gdb (debugger) (at
least in pre-built package for windows), and works great with gps (IDE).

(no need to cross-post)

--
rien

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
@ 2005-03-03 14:47 ` Marius Amado Alves
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2005-03-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simone Freouble; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

On 3 Mar 2005, at 14:29, Simone Freouble wrote:

> I am new to Ada. Can some Ada gurus/experts recommend me a freeware
> and/or
> "low-cost"/academic/student version of an Ada Compiler+Debugger+GUI
> development IDE for WindowsXP and/or Linux (Fedore Core3) ?

RedHat used to ship with GNAT installed. Try "gnatmake"on the command
line.

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-03 16:28 ` Peter Hermann
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Hermann @ 2005-03-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.lang.ada Simone Freouble <sm> wrote:

this is a troll polluting 4 newsgroups

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
@ 2005-03-03 16:36   ` Pete Fenelon
From: Pete Fenelon @ 2005-03-03 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.realtime Peter Hermann <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> In comp.lang.ada Simone Freouble <sm> wrote:
>
> this is a troll polluting 4 newsgroups

No, it's a perfectly reasonable question, crossposted to a sensible
subset of groups. If anyone's trolling, it's you, not the original
poster.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "Send lawyers, guns and money...."

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
@ 2005-03-03 16:41     ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2005-03-03 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.lang.ada Pete Fenelon <pete@fenelon.com> wrote:
> In comp.realtime Peter Hermann <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> > In comp.lang.ada Simone Freouble <sm> wrote:
> >
> > this is a troll polluting 4 newsgroups
>
> No, it's a perfectly reasonable question, crossposted to a sensible
> subset of groups. If anyone's trolling, it's you, not the original
> poster.
>
> pete

wrong: original sender is not identifiable

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-03 19:35 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2005-03-03 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:29:38 +1100, Simone Freouble wrote:

> I am new to Ada. Can some Ada gurus/experts recommend me a freeware and/or
> "low-cost"/academic/student version of an Ada Compiler+Debugger+GUI
> development IDE for WindowsXP and/or Linux (Fedore Core3) ?

1. GNAT

Under Fedora just install gcc-gnat package. That will give you the GNAT
compiler:

$>yum install gcc-gnat

For Windows you can download it from here:

http://libre.act-europe.fr

A good IDE for GNAT (alas, without integrated debugger) for Windows is
AdaGIDE:

http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

You could also try GPS (the same http://libre.act-europe.fr), which is a
platform-independent IDE for GNAT, but its publicly available version is
very beta to be usable for debugging.

2. ObjectAda

Compiler+IDE+Debugger of Aonix. Its IDE is more bearable (as compared to
GPS). It resembles MSVC IDE, though lacks many of its features. Aonix has a
special limited (in terms of project size) version:

http://www.aonix.com/oa_win_demo.html

It seems that they might have it for Linux as well, but I never tried it
there.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
@ 2005-03-03 21:49   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2005-03-03 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

A good list of stuff, but the OP also asked about a GUI builder. You can
get a GUI builder at: http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/main.html This
is the GtkAda GUI environment that you can get for either Windows or Linux.

Also, there is the GPS Interactive Development Environment that should
be available for either Windows or Linux at:
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/gps/ I find it to be occasinally difficult
(it keeps wanting to recompile system packages and I've forgotten how to
shut that off!) but I like its view of a library full of software better
than AdaGIDE. (Although AdaGIDE is pretty spiffy if you just want
relatively small projects on a Windows platform)

MDC

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> 1. GNAT
>
> Under Fedora just install gcc-gnat package. That will give you the GNAT
> compiler:
>
> $>yum install gcc-gnat
>
> For Windows you can download it from here:
>
> http://libre.act-europe.fr
>
> A good IDE for GNAT (alas, without integrated debugger) for Windows is
> AdaGIDE:
>
> http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html
>
> You could also try GPS (the same http://libre.act-europe.fr), which is a
> platform-independent IDE for GNAT, but its publicly available version is
> very beta to be usable for debugging.
>
> 2. ObjectAda
>
> Compiler+IDE+Debugger of Aonix. Its IDE is more bearable (as compared to
> GPS). It resembles MSVC IDE, though lacks many of its features. Aonix has a
> special limited (in terms of project size) version:
>
> http://www.aonix.com/oa_win_demo.html
>
> It seems that they might have it for Linux as well, but I never tried it
> there.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g
                    c   n   i       c   .   r

     "'Shut up,' he explained."

         --  Ring Lardner

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
@ 2005-03-03 22:42     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2005-03-03 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marin David Condic" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
> A good list of stuff, but the OP also asked about a GUI builder. You can
> get a GUI builder at: http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/main.html This
> is the GtkAda GUI environment that you can get for either Windows or
Linux.
Since he specified Windows, The Introductory version Claw GUI builder is
also available at www.rrsoftware.com. It will work with GNAT or ObjectAda
(or other compilers for that matter). The Introductory binding is GMGPLed
(although the current version doesn't reflect that in it's text), and is
also available free.

                     Randy Brukardt, R.R. Software, Inc.

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux(long)
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-05  0:12 ` Dani
From: Dani @ 2005-03-05  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Compiler --> Gnat or gcc3.4.x (or newer version)(with ada support)
(obs.: the gnat _free_ compiler ( and gcc, too) have *FULL
Functionality* of the version "pro" ( no _hide_ limitations). "UAU!".
But if you must of support is easy contract it, too. Thank's "Act" ;-)  )
(obs.2: in Ms-Win you can use mingwin version of gcc (ada part),well)
Gui-Programming --> GtkAda.
(obs.: I Love use the "cvs version" of GtkAda )
(obs.2: GtkAda permit for example embedded OpenGl in one window in the
GUI. good for games and or Scientifics Applicatitions who uses complexes
structures, too)
Gui-IDE --> Gnat-GPS and or JGrasp.
(obs.: GPS is very very very good, but lack a better mechanism for
"print the code in paper". JGrasp is very very very good, too,  and
_Have_ a excelent mecanism for formatting the code (e.g. CSD ) and the
code "printed in paper" is ,for now, the best that I know.[you have a
printer ? if  yes then use CSD (and in sequence optionally turn off the
CSD) and print one list and in sequence print the same code list in your
printer with dozen of Gui-IDE's. the result is impressive... no that the
others is really bad....BUT (for now) the JGrasp is better. the printed
list is (in the
same time) beautifull AND "oticlly pleasant and understandable".
{remenber of, in the setup of JGrasp, habilitate the options how color,
name, etc.}  :-] GPS have a excelent integration with automatic switches
for gnat (choosen with more intelligible way through options with
"explanations").  JGrasp allow you insert and determine manually
separate switches for each part of (e.g) compiling, bind and
link and "others" (and of course save your choices). GPS have a
"build-day" version that is more recent that
the version "stable" ( they are in home page of GPS).  J(ava)Grasp is
free,too. in Ms-win you can maybe download the version with "java
bundled" or (including other OS's) the code without the java run-time
and  use your java-runtime installed in your system. I recommend min
version of java-run-time of 1.4.x for use with JGrasp.have minor hint's
for use Jgrasp how press (in my keyboard
US-Acents/Gnome2.8/GnuLinuxDebianTesting(Sarge))  right_Alt + '  to
obtain the '  and shift + right_Alt + '  to obtain "  (necessary for
example
to write code as _My'Fisrt_ :-) and any times that I have press <enter>
to open file(s) selecteds BUT I Happy with JGrasp. Have a good trie with
JGrasp and GPS. only choose one after have beeing used more them in
profundity.
Debbuger--> Gdb com Ada support

I Hope this help you.

[]'s of seven turns, Dani.

p.s.: thank's for understanding my bad English.;-)

Simone Freouble escreveu:

>I am new to Ada. Can some Ada gurus/experts recommend me a freeware and/or
>"low-cost"/academic/student version of an Ada Compiler+Debugger+GUI
>development IDE for WindowsXP and/or Linux (Fedore Core3) ?

* Re: Ada compiler/debugger/GUI development IDE for WindowsXP/Linux
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-07 19:39 ` Tools
From: Tools @ 2005-03-07 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you go with Ada, take a look at:

http://www.excelsoftware.com/umlforada.html

WinA&D and WinTranslator support a rich environment for modeling Ada with
UML, generating Ada code from the  design and reengineering Ada code back to
design.  It's the only Ada environment that I'm aware of with full round-trip
engineering.