From: Adrien Plisson <aplisson-news@stochastique.net>
Subject: Re: Pointers in Ada
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:03:48 +0100
Date: 2005-03-04T14:03:48+01:00	[thread overview]

Sebastian wrote:
>    -- How do I Initialize my message to send?
>    Mdp_Msg_Ptr_Out'access := Output_Msg; --this does not work?
>    Mdp_Msg_Ptr_Out.all    := Output_Msg; --this does not work?

well, it seems you are having a lot of troubles with pointers/access
types.

what you want to do is setting Mdp_Msg_Ptr_Out to a value which will
point to Output_Msg.

you wrote:
- first line: (vaguely) setting the address of Mdp_Msg_Ptr_Out to be
the same as the address of Output_Msg.
- second line: copy the content of Ouput_Msg at the address pointed to
by Mdp_Msg_Ptr_Out, which is uninitialized

reverse the problem !
Mdp_Msg_Ptr_Out := Output_Msg'Access;

note that this will need Output_Msg to be declared as aliased... also
MDP_LLD.Client_Msg_Ptr_Type needs to be visible, and in your sample,
it is private. (there are also other solutions to your problem).

I suggest you grab your favorite book on Ada and re-read the chapter
concerning access types. don't try to do something too elaborated at
first.

--
rien