From: Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de>
Subject: Re: Ada syntax patents
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:54:02 +0100
Date: 2005-02-23T11:53:50+01:00	[thread overview]

Martin Krischik wrote:

> If court cases where not so expensive those patent laws where not realy a
> problem. It is the combination which make the problem so explosive.
>
> Especialy when you think Microsoft and they enourmous amound of cash.

Given that Ada the language is an ISO standard, I think the
compiler producers won't claim anything, or will they? I don't want to imagine
someone trying to "protect" the invention of the translation of a compiler
specific pragma. But who knows, the lawyers working for the big companies
tell us we shoul try to have a patent "portfolio".

So I guess even a small company, having a small to non-existent patent
"portfolio", can go on producing software in Ada without fear of
being sued for using Ada language constructs without "permission".
What is called a patent _portfolio_ is really a patent _armory_, consistent
with language used in the market: e.g. fight instead of compete.
 One euphemism created for every opporunity. Or do
company lawers negotiate patents in order to have a decent exchange of
securities from their respective "portfolios"?

-- Georg