From: Jeff Houck <jhouck@northrim.net>
Subject: Re: Ada suitablity as a game dev language
Date: 24 Nov 2004 02:05:17 +0100
Date: 2004-11-24T02:05:17+01:00	[thread overview]

Wow! Thanks for all the insight, information and useful URLs regarding
this post! I can see that interacting with this newsgroup is going to be
very interesting... 8^)

I'm going to give this some serious thought. In reading through
everyones comments and looking at the examples, I'm convinced that Ada
can, and perhaps more importantly should, make a showing in the game dev
realm. Ada has simply got so much going for it, how can it continue to
be "left out"?

But, before I get myself in too deep, I'm going to work out a general
specifications list for the development of a simple Ada/OpenGL/GLFW
based engine. Initially I expect it will do "2D in 3D" (textured polys
as sprites) and if that is successful, a full 3D enviroment.
The OpenGL/GLFW part is entirely based on David Holms AdaOpenGL work. I
recently contacted David inquiring about his project and while he hasn't
worked on it for a little over a year, it's quite complete. He would
like to receive any bug reports and screenshots showing the library in
action. Thanks David!

Please keep in mind that I'm looking to produce a "proof of concept" at
this stage. This will be my first attempt at coding a game engine so I'm
sure it'll be a learning experience. 8^)

I'll post again later with some ideas to bounce off anyone who cares to
reply or possibly participate. THX!

--

FREENET By X-Privat - http://www.x-privat.org/infofreenet.php