From: Adrien Plisson <aplisson-news@stochastique.net>
Subject: Re: Windows Service (ADA)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:27:24 +0100
Date: 2004-11-15T14:27:24+01:00	[thread overview]

David Amies wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to ADA, so sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> I am wanting to write a windows service, I have no experience writing
> code in ADA or C++ or VB for that matter. I do have plenty writing in
> VBScript and PHP and HTML, and some C (a long time ago).

well, this should not help a lot in writing a windows service...

> I prefer to lean by reading manual's and other web pages, however I
> can't seem to find anything relevant to what I am trying to do. Probably
> this is just cause I'm new to this language and don't know where to
> look, so I am hoping for a few pointers to some helpful relevant links.

ok.
a Windows service is not written specifically in Ada, and i'm not sure you will
find any example on writing a Windows service in Ada. but you can do it...

first, learn programming again (using your old C background for example), and
learn Ada.

then, learn how to interact with Windows from Ada (using Win32Ada for example).

then you will need to understand how you can write a service. here are some
pointers that can serve as a starting point:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndllpro/html/msdn_ntservic.asp
http://www.devx.com/cplus/Article/9857

(you may consider first writing a standard application, then, when everything
is working, converting it to a service)

hope this helps.

--
rien