* PDA's
@ 2004-10-26 10:07 ps42
From: ps42 @ 2004-10-26 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

  I'm looking for a pda that i can programme. So i can basically put my own
buttons and informtion on.

Any information on a PDA that does that, or a specific software and pda
that i can use, would be great.

Thanks

* Re: PDA's
@ 2004-10-26 11:54 ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-10-26 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ps42" <ps42@.no spam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>  I'm looking for a pda that i can programme. So i can basically put my own
> buttons and informtion on.
>
> Any information on a PDA that does that, or a specific software and pda
> that i can use, would be great.
>
> Thanks

As far as programmable PDAs goes, There's more than one model.  I've found
some programming language or another on pretty much all of Palm's series of
PDAs.  I have a PSION REVO+ which I happen to like alot because of it's
layout and that one is programmable as well in OPL (a somewhat BASIC like
language) C++ and Java and of course Assembler.

For palm: http://mobile.eric-poncet.com/palm/tutorial.html

For PSION PDAs you can go to the Symbian OS website
http://www.symbian.com/developer/

The good think about a Symbian OS machine, is that Ada can be compiled to
Java bytecode and Symbian can/does run Java.

My 2cents ;-)

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

* Re: PDA's
@ 2004-10-26 17:40   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-10-26 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"stephane richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:

> The good think about a Symbian OS machine, is that Ada can be compiled to
> Java bytecode and Symbian can/does run Java.

Do you have a step-by-step doc to do that ? I have a P900 and like to program
it in Ada. The JGNAT is ok for me, but I have never installed a JVM into a
Symbian device. I know that there is some information on the Sony Ericsson Web
site but this is far from being a step-by-step approach!

Thanks,
Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: PDA's
@ 2004-10-26 17:50     ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-10-26 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe this website can help.

http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/channels/pda/training/symbian2/

"Pascal Obry" <pascal@obry.org> wrote in message

> "stephane richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> The good think about a Symbian OS machine, is that Ada can be compiled to
>> Java bytecode and Symbian can/does run Java.
>
> Do you have a step-by-step doc to do that ? I have a P900 and like to
> program
> it in Ada. The JGNAT is ok for me, but I have never installed a JVM into a
> Symbian device. I know that there is some information on the Sony Ericsson
> Web
> site but this is far from being a step-by-step approach!
>
> Thanks,
> Pascal.
>
> --
>
> --|------------------------------------------------------
> --| Pascal Obry                           Team-Ada Member
> --| 45, rue Gabriel Peri - 78114 Magny Les Hameaux FRANCE
> --|------------------------------------------------------
> --|              http://www.obry.org
> --| "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"
> --|
> --| gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-key C1082595

* Re: PDA's
@ 2004-10-26 20:15       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-10-26 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"stephane richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:
> Maybe this website can help.
>
> http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/channels/pda/training/symbian2/

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: PDA's
@ 2004-10-27  3:27   ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2004-10-27  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

stephane richard wrote:
> The good think about a Symbian OS machine, is that Ada can be compiled to
> Java bytecode and Symbian can/does run Java.

Ada to J-code to Palm OS has also been done.

--
Wes Groleau
-----------

* Re: PDA's
@ 2004-10-29  7:12   ` Rob Veenker
From: Rob Veenker @ 2004-10-29  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

stephane richard wrote:

> "ps42" <ps42@.no spam.hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>  I'm looking for a pda that i can programme. So i can basically put my
>>  own
>> buttons and informtion on.
>>
>> Any information on a PDA that does that, or a specific software and pda
>> that i can use, would be great.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> As far as programmable PDAs goes, There's more than one model.  I've found
> some programming language or another on pretty much all of Palm's series
> of
> PDAs.  I have a PSION REVO+ which I happen to like alot because of it's
> layout and that one is programmable as well in OPL (a somewhat BASIC like
> language) C++ and Java and of course Assembler.
>
> For palm: http://mobile.eric-poncet.com/palm/tutorial.html
>
> For PSION PDAs you can go to the Symbian OS website
> http://www.symbian.com/developer/
>
> The good think about a Symbian OS machine, is that Ada can be compiled to
> Java bytecode and Symbian can/does run Java.
>
> My 2cents ;-)
>
> Stephane Richard
> "Ada World" webmaster
> http://www.adaworld.com

Besides JGNAT, which works well on most PDA's (the trick is to get a JVM :-)
there now is MGNAT for PDA's as well. There will be a tutorial by Martin
Carlisle in the next SigAda conference in Atlanta.

I have already successfully ported (well copied and compiled :-) some
applications on the iPAQ. It integrates even into the Visual Studio .Net so
you can debug the Ada code as well on the emulated PDA.
For this, MGNAT generates debug info into the .IL files

There should be an official release soon

--
regards,

Rob Veenker