* Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-26 21:28 Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2004-10-26 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am posting this on behalf of AdaCore:

www.ada-answers.com launches!

As the need for robust and reliable software systems increases, Ada
continues to prove to be an
excellent answer for many of today’s most complex programming challenges.
“Ada Answers” is
dedicated to keeping developers and project managers informed about Ada
and showcasing the
particular strengths and benefits of this extremely powerful programming
language. “Ada Answers”
is part of AdaCore’s ongoing commitment to promote the qualities of the
Ada programming language.

Features of the new site include:

- Real world examples of Ada in use, including a comprehensive list of
companies and
organizations that are using Ada everyday.
- A growing collection of video interviews in which developers and
managers speak about why they
have chosen Ada.
- Technical features of the Ada programming language are explained,
showing how they translate
into bottom-line business benefits.
- A section dedicated to the wide range of up-to-date Ada materials and
resources available on
the web.

AdaCore is always looking for interesting and innovative Ada stories.
Please contact us with
yours. We plan to produce videos of some of the stories, but all
contributors whose story is
published will receive a stylish Ada Answers T-shirt!

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27  4:43 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2004-10-27  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <opsghxvjro5afhvo@localhost>, "Ed Falis" <falis@verizon.net> writes:
> I am posting this on behalf of AdaCore:

It would be better if you posted in ASCII.

> excellent answer for many of today’s most complex programming challenges.
> “Ada Answers” is
> dedicated to keeping developers and project managers informed about Ada
> and showcasing the
> particular strengths and benefits of this extremely powerful programming
> language. “Ada Answers”
> is part of AdaCore’s ongoing commitment to promote the qualities of the

In the paragraph above, I find unreadable characters with the following
(decimal) values:

	226
	128
	153
	226
	128
	156
	226
	128
	157
	226
	128
	156
	226
	128
	157
	226
	128
	153

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27  8:21   ` Adrien Plisson
From: Adrien Plisson @ 2004-10-27  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> It would be better if you posted in ASCII.

well, you should stop reading news on teletype...

--
rien

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27  8:48       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-10-27  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Jacoboni wrote:

> AFAIK, UTF-8 is not the encoding of choice for every newsgroup... It's
> even forbidden in most forum of french hierarchy...

Do they publish transliteration/transscription tables, then?
(For example, for names from countries withing, say, a circle
of 1_000 miles.)

Georg

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27  9:13     ` Eric Jacoboni
From: Eric Jacoboni @ 2004-10-27  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrien Plisson <aplisson-news@stochastique.net> writes:

> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>> It would be better if you posted in ASCII.
>
> well, you should stop reading news on teletype...

AFAIK, UTF-8 is not the encoding of choice for every newsgroup... It's
even forbidden in most forum of french hierarchy...

I'm not using a Teletype, but i don't use UTF-8 either.
--
�ric Jacoboni, n� il y a 1402312180 secondes

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27 10:06 ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2004-10-27 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Falis <falis@verizon.net> wrote:
> I am posting this on behalf of AdaCore:
>
> www.ada-answers.com launches!

giving feedback to videos@ada-answers.com impossible
due to unknown recipient.
please send a correct email address.
TIA

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27 11:06         ` Adrien Plisson
From: Adrien Plisson @ 2004-10-27 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> Eric Jacoboni wrote:
>

>> AFAIK, UTF-8 is not the encoding of choice for every newsgroup... It's
>> even forbidden in most forum of french hierarchy...
>

> Do they publish transliteration/transscription tables, then?
> (For example, for names from countries withing, say, a circle
> of 1_000 miles.)

no, it's just that setting a Content-Type header seems a herculean task that
most newsreader do not bother to accomplish !
or maybe it is people that are too lazy to configure properly their
system/software/whatever...
or maybe it is orgnizations that do not want to spend money on buying modern
systems/upgrading their software...

or just that people never heard of/don't want to hear about ISO/IEC-10646 (yes
Unicode has been standardized a long long time ago...)

--
rien

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27 11:54     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2004-10-27 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <417f5bf8$0$30698$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, Adrien Plisson <aplisson-news@stochastique.net> writes:
> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>> It would be better if you posted in ASCII.
>
> well, you should stop reading news on teletype...

As it happens, I am reading news on a VT102 emulator.

Since you apparently are not, please explain what content was present
in that message which could not be expressed in ASCII ?

There was another recent post that had a whole (apparent) program
example posted in unreadable characters.  Those who are interested
in showing off rather than communicating could surely find a graphics
newsgroup in which to participate.

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27 11:58         ` Eric Jacoboni
From: Eric Jacoboni @ 2004-10-27 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@uni-duisburg.de> writes:

> Do they publish transliteration/transscription tables, then?
> (For example, for names from countries withing, say, a circle
> of 1_000 miles.)

Don't know... But i'm on comp.lang.ruby where a lot of japanese people
live and i do not see any problem... But maybe i've don't understood
what you mean...

That said, QP is also discouraged (and forbidden in some moderated
groups) but it's still used in some others...

By the way, and to come back in topic... Have you a solution for
encoding in UTF a Ada source code whith accentuated identifiers, and
for Gnat accept these identifiers?
--
�ric Jacoboni, n� il y a 1402321793 secondes

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27 12:05       ` Adrien Plisson
From: Adrien Plisson @ 2004-10-27 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> As it happens, I am reading news on a VT102 emulator.

ok, a good reason for complaining...

> Since you apparently are not, please explain what content was present
> in that message which could not be expressed in ASCII ?

none. 2-0 for larry.

> There was another recent post that had a whole (apparent) program
> example posted in unreadable characters.  Those who are interested
> in showing off rather than communicating could surely find a graphics
> newsgroup in which to participate.

although complaining about the encoding of a post that could definitely be read
despite the lack of a good display support could be seen as "showing off",
you're right. 3-0, game, set and match. end of troll.

--
rien

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27 12:43           ` Jerome Hugues
From: Jerome Hugues @ 2004-10-27 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m2ekjk4bl1.fsf@mac.scrogneugneu.org>, Eric Jacoboni wrote:

> By the way, and to come back in topic... Have you a solution for
> encoding in UTF a Ada source code whith accentuated identifiers, and
> for Gnat accept these identifiers?

Doesn't -gnatW<e> flags cover your needs ?

http://sandbox.mc.edu/~bennet/ada/gnat_ug/gnat_ug_4.html#SEC44

--
Jerome

* re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-27 12:45 Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2004-10-27 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hopefully this one addresses the encoding problem:

@ 2004-10-27 14:03             ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-10-27 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerome Hugues wrote:
> In article <m2ekjk4bl1.fsf@mac.scrogneugneu.org>, Eric Jacoboni wrote:
>

>>By the way, and to come back in topic... Have you a solution for
>>encoding in UTF a Ada source code whith accentuated identifiers, and
>>for Gnat accept these identifiers?
>

> Doesn't -gnatW<e> flags cover your needs ?

AFAICS, to the extent that accentuated identifiers are Western
European names.

$ gnatmake -gnatc -gnatW8
...: wide character not allowed in identifier

procedure Olé is
  -- rename to Olee and file to olee.adb, then everything is fine

   sí: Constant Boolean := true;
   -- Can't have Spanish and Greek in the same file:
   --   funcion δ(q: State; s: Symbol) return State;
begin
   Not_in_the_EU_Yet;
end Olé;

Anyway, another bug box:

$ gnatmake -gnatW8 ol\351.adb
gcc -c -gnatW8 olé.adb
+===========================GNAT BUG DETECTED==============================+
| 3.4.2 (mingw-special) (i386-pc-mingw32) Constraint_Error s-wchcnv.adb:150 explicit raise|
| Error detected at olé.adb:7:5                                            |
| Please submit a bug report; see http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html.            |

I guess this is a file naming issue, the é appears as a single
8bit character on the command line(?), not a UTF-8 sequence.

I don't really have a clue yet about what is going on when you use
non-7bit characters in Windows file names. Explorer shows them,
cmd shows replacement characters (delta becomes d for example).
It is possible to compile the file using the 8.3 names. It is possible
to rename the file using 2 8bit characters representing the é in
olé.adb, then

E:\temp>gnatmake -gnatW8 -gnatc olé.adb
gcc -c -gnatW8 -gnatc ol├®.adb
ol├®.adb:1:01: wide character not allowed in identifier
gnatmake: "ol├®.adb" compilation error

The latter file, which seem to have a name different from the one
given on the command line, had existed (due to prior naming
experiments), but cmd can't find it any longer.

(And cmd seems to interpret file name patterns using the DOS 8.3 names;
when I rename olé.adb to <delta>olé.adb, "dir ol*.adb" will list the new
four character name.)

Is this still true in GCC 3.5 or more recent versins of GNAT?
Should I send a bug report?

-- Georg

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-28  7:45           ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-10-28  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Jacoboni wrote:

> Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@uni-duisburg.de> writes:
>
>> Do they publish transliteration/transscription tables, then?
>> (For example, for names from countries withing, say, a circle
>> of 1_000 miles.)

> By the way, and to come back in topic... Have you a solution for
> encoding in UTF a Ada source code whith accentuated identifiers, and
> for Gnat accept these identifiers?

My Wife often uses ᅵᅵᅵ in identifiers - but then the files are only encoded
Latin 1. It does work quite well.

The only downside it the GPS which can't cope with ᅵ in all contexts often -
but not allways truncating the line at the 'ᅵ'.

With Regards

MArtin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-28  7:48               ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-10-28  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> Jerome Hugues wrote:
>> In article <m2ekjk4bl1.fsf@mac.scrogneugneu.org>, Eric Jacoboni wrote:
>>

>>>By the way, and to come back in topic... Have you a solution for
>>>encoding in UTF a Ada source code whith accentuated identifiers, and
>>>for Gnat accept these identifiers?
>>

>> Doesn't -gnatW<e> flags cover your needs ?
> +===========================GNAT BUG
> DETECTED==============================+
> | 3.4.2 (mingw-special) (i386-pc-mingw32) Constraint_Error
> | s-wchcnv.adb:150 explicit raise|
> | Error detected at olᅵ.adb:7:5
> | |
> | Please submit a bug report; see http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html.
> | |

Well, I have not been that brave!

> Is this still true in GCC 3.5 or more recent versins of GNAT?
> Should I send a bug report?

I think that GCC 3.5 is now GCC 4.0 ;-)

With Regards

Martin
--

@ 2004-10-28  9:17             ` Eric Jacoboni
From: Eric Jacoboni @ 2004-10-28  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <martin@krischik.com> writes:

> My Wife often uses ��� in identifiers - but then the files are only encoded
> Latin 1. It does work quite well.

Me too. I'm using accentuated characters and, as i always encode all
my texts in Latin-1 or -9, there is no pb.

> The only downside it the GPS which can't cope with � in all contexts often -
> but not allways truncating the line at the '�'.

I'm using Emacs (and sometimes XCode) to write code and it's ok.
--
�ric Jacoboni, n� il y a 1402398928 secondes

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-28 12:06             ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2004-10-28 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik wrote:
> The only downside it the GPS which can't cope with ᅵ in all contexts often -
> but not allways truncating the line at the 'ᅵ'.

How does it do on ᅵ?

* Re: Ada Answers
@ 2004-10-28 16:55               ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-10-28 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
>> The only downside it the GPS which can't cope with ᅵ in all contexts
>> often - but not allways truncating the line at the 'ᅵ'.

> How does it do on ᅵ?

Don't know. Germans seldom have need for ᅵ in there source codes.

Martin