From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <devnull@mailinator.com>
Subject: Re: Gnat and priority level
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:18:18 +0200
Date: 2004-10-19T13:18:18+02:00	[thread overview]

mferracini wrote:
>>You can't (at least easily). Not only the gnat implementation uses
>
> just
>
>>32 priorities, but these are mapped to underlying windows priorities,
>>which are only 7, if I remember correctly (yes, there's overlapping).
>

> and with Linux rt version like RT-Linux there are the some problem?
> thanks again.

Take the following with a grain of salt, since I'm much less experienced
with gnat for linux.

Firstly, I think that gnat doesn't target the RT capabilities of
RT-Linux, so you'll really have regular non-RT linux threads. Unless
someone has a patch for it.

Second, you can choose two threading implementations with gnat for linux:

* linux native threads, whose particularities I don't know but some
linux expert could tell you (BTW, using the old 2.4 thread
implementation, not the new 2.6 one).

* fsu-threads (I think) which if I remember correctly are
POSIX-compliant or something-else-compliant which native linux's aren't.
Those have the particularity that you have a single linux process, so a
blocking call in any fsu-thread will block all the others (i.e. the
linux thread is blocked).

Someone more experienced can confirm these things? I'm interested in the
details too.