From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <devnull@mailinator.com>
Subject: Re: Gnat and priority level
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:58:02 +0200
Date: 2004-10-19T11:58:02+02:00	[thread overview]

mferracini wrote:
> Hi, i'm new on ada and i have many problem... :)
>
> i need an info:
> Ada.Text_Io.Put(Item => Integer'image(System.Priority'Last));
> and gnat on windows2000 replay "30"
>
> but i need more level of priority (255): how i can do?(if i can, of
> course)

You can't (at least easily). Not only the gnat implementation uses just
32 priorities, but these are mapped to underlying windows priorities,
which are only 7, if I remember correctly (yes, there's overlapping).

Take a look at the spec of System for more details.

If you need to play with real time semantics in gnat, be prepared to
have only 6 priorities (plus interruptions) and don't forget to specify
the ceiling locking policy, since that causes the executable to be put
in the windows real time priority class. Failing to do so, the dynamic
priorities of windows regular processes will screw up any attempt to
test tasking priorities semantics.

Cheers!