* GNADE samples on windows (cygwin)
@ 2004-11-28 15:54 Mark Doherty
From: Mark Doherty @ 2004-11-28 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Initially, under xp, I tried Gnat 3.15p and GNADE 1.5.3a but had too
many problems (linker options referring to /usr/...) so I decided to
use cygwin.

Under cygwin I have installed gcc 3.3.3 and GNADE.

I am trying to build the mysql sample but it does not recognise that
mysql (and other databases) are installed on the PC, because
presumably they were not loaded under cygwin.

Do I have to install, from sources, everything that cygwin does not
automatically include (GCC)?

If so is there any compatibility issues with different versions of
products?

Further, are there issues about shared libraries / DLLs that I will
come across.

Out of interest, why does cygwin not include all these products?

Does anybody have a step-by-step guide to install and run all the
GNADE samples under windows (xp)?

I have already made attempts to read the GNADE documentation but it is
still not clear to me, albeit is not for the GNADE documentation to
document how to install mysql etc on cygwin.

Thanx Mark.

* Re: GNADE samples on windows (cygwin)
@ 2004-11-28 17:12 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2004-11-28 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 Nov 2004 07:54:07 -0800, Mark Doherty wrote:

> Initially, under xp, I tried Gnat 3.15p and GNADE 1.5.3a but had too
> many problems (linker options referring to /usr/...)

Why /usr/?

It should be kind of

-Ic:/GNADE/win32-include
-Lc:/GNAT/lib/win32
-lodbc32

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: GNADE samples on windows (cygwin)
@ 2004-11-28 18:13 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2004-11-28 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

mark_doherty@yahoo.co.uk (Mark Doherty) writes:

> Initially, under xp, I tried Gnat 3.15p and GNADE 1.5.3a but had too
> many problems (linker options referring to /usr/...) so I decided to
> use cygwin.
>
> Under cygwin I have installed gcc 3.3.3 and GNADE.
>
> I am trying to build the mysql sample but it does not recognise that
> mysql (and other databases) are installed on the PC, because
> presumably they were not loaded under cygwin.

It's probably that they are not in the cygwin path; edit PATH in your
~/.bashrc.

> Do I have to install, from sources, everything that cygwin does not
> automatically include (GCC)?

no.

> Further, are there issues about shared libraries / DLLs that I will
> come across.

I'm using MySQL with GNADE via ODBC, compiled with GNAT 5.02
(non-cygwin), and have had no dll problems.

> Out of interest, why does cygwin not include all these products?

It's a volunteer system; no one has volunteered to put them all in.
Here's your chance!

> Does anybody have a step-by-step guide to install and run all the
> GNADE samples under windows (xp)?

Hmm. I'm the nominal GNADE maintainer for Windows. I guess that makes
it my job to create that guide; I hadn't quite thought of it that way.
Although Michael Erdmann is also doing Windows now.

Let's try this; send me (via private email) the steps you've taken so
far, and I'll see if I can reproduce your problems and provide
solutions. Then that will form the starting point for the guide you
are talking about. I'm on Windows 2000, but that really shouldn't matter.

You could also ask on the gnade mailing list
(http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=23045)

> I have already made attempts to read the GNADE documentation but it
> is still not clear to me, albeit is not for the GNADE documentation
> to document how to install mysql etc on cygwin.

Well, I think it should help, or refer you to other good docs.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GNADE samples on windows (cygwin)
@ 2004-11-28 18:52 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-11-28 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Doherty wrote:

> Initially, under xp, I tried Gnat 3.15p and GNADE 1.5.3a but had too
> many problems (linker options referring to /usr/...) so I decided to
> use cygwin.

> Under cygwin I have installed gcc 3.3.3 and GNADE.

The 3.3.x versions arn't that good. You might want to try the mingw versions
instead - they have 3.4.x version.

> I am trying to build the mysql sample but it does not recognise that
> mysql (and other databases) are installed on the PC, because
> presumably they were not loaded under cygwin.
>
> Do I have to install, from sources, everything that cygwin does not
> automatically include (GCC)?

That's the sad truth.

> Out of interest, why does cygwin not include all these products?

There is a maintaier missint. Do you volonteer?

With Regards

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: GNADE samples on windows (cygwin)
@ 2004-11-29 22:24   ` Mark Doherty
From: Mark Doherty @ 2004-11-29 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@acm.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.141.1101665669.10401.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>...
> mark_doherty@yahoo.co.uk (Mark Doherty) writes:
>
> > Out of interest, why does cygwin not include all these products?
>
> It's a volunteer system; no one has volunteered to put them all in.
> Here's your chance!

Configuration is something I don't enjoy, but appreciate when it works
well.
I am sure that it is not as easy as it should be but I'll find out a
bit more before I make a committment.

Any "non-technical" advice from anybody that has done this would be
appreciated.

> > Does anybody have a step-by-step guide to install and run all the
> > GNADE samples under windows (xp)?
>
> Hmm. I'm the nominal GNADE maintainer for Windows. I guess that makes
> it my job to create that guide; I hadn't quite thought of it that way.
> Although Michael Erdmann is also doing Windows now.
>
> Let's try this; send me (via private email) the steps you've taken so
> far, and I'll see if I can reproduce your problems and provide
> solutions. Then that will form the starting point for the guide you
> are talking about. I'm on Windows 2000, but that really shouldn't matter.

Thanx, I'll e-mail you later this week with what I found.

Mark