From: Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: Can't set executable stack size during compilation
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:12:27 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2012-01-04T19:12:27-08:00	[thread overview]

On Jan 4, 8:49 am, Erich <j...@peppermind.com> wrote:
> I have a problem setting the stack size of a GNAT made program during
> compilation. It is a bit memory extensive and sometimes yields a
> storage error with the standard stack size (I'd prefer to avoid the
> heap for the time being).

There has been discussed several times here a very cool and elegant
way to allocate from the heap without trashing your program or re-
writing code so that it can accept pointers as arguments. The link

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ada/browse_thread/thread/ae395e5c11de7bc9/bda8d61bd3a66ee9?hl=en&q=Jerry+stack&lnk=nl&

mentions this.

However, I have found that even with large arrays allocated from the
heap using pointers, when using the "-" operator (for example) on the
arrays, large amounts of memory might be required from the stack. I
believe that this is because the intermediate result result of "-" is
taken from the stack. You might be able to write your own "-" overload
in that case and see if it behaves differently.

Jerry