* [OT] Build procedures
@ 2004-09-09 15:06 Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-09-09 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I seem to remember that within the last few months there was a posting here
which mentioned a quote about how any project should be able to be built
with a single command from a command line. Unfortunately Google search
hasn't shed any light on this message. Does anyone know the quote? Who
said/wrote it? Title of publication? The actual quote?!

TIA

-- Martin

* Re: [OT] Build procedures
@ 2004-09-09 18:18 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-09-09 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Dowie" writes:
> I seem to remember that within the last few months there was a
> posting here which mentioned a quote about how any project should be
> able to be built with a single command from a command
> line. Unfortunately Google search hasn't shed any light on this
> message. Does anyone know the quote? Who said/wrote it? Title of
> publication? The actual quote?!
>
> TIA
>
> -- Martin

The thread was "GNAT and GNU build system".  I've found one entry in
that thread. I don't think it has the exact quote you're looking for,
but you may be able to get to it.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22GNAT+and+GNU+build+system%22&hl=fr&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=xxmQc.1161%24256.723%40reader1.news.jippii.net&rnum=1

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: [OT] Build procedures
@ 2004-09-09 19:40 ` CBFalconer
From: CBFalconer @ 2004-09-09 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:

> I seem to remember that within the last few months there was a
> posting here which mentioned a quote about how any project should
> be able to be built with a single command from a command line.
> Unfortunately Google search hasn't shed any light on this message.
> Does anyone know the quote? Who said/wrote it? Title of
> publication? The actual quote?

On most systems the command is "make".  Depending on the makefile,
it might require an argument or two.

--
"Churchill and Bush can both be considered wartime leaders, just
 as Secretariat and Mr Ed were both horses." -     James Rhodes.

* Re: [OT] Build procedures
@ 2004-09-09 19:52   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-09-09 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> The thread was "GNAT and GNU build system".  I've found one entry in
> that thread. I don't think it has the exact quote you're looking for,
> but you may be able to get to it.
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22GNAT+and+GNU+build+system%22&hl=fr&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=xxmQc.1161%24256.723%40reader1.news.jippii.net&rnum=1

Thanks but I don't think that's it. I'm sure it was a quote taken from a
book (possibly a 'good coding/development style' from someone at Microsoft -
no comments please! ;-)

-- Martin

* Re: [OT] Build procedures
@ 2004-09-10  5:43   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-09-10  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Martin Dowie wrote:
>>
>> I seem to remember that within the last few months there was a
>> posting here which mentioned a quote about how any project should
>> be able to be built with a single command from a command line.
>> Unfortunately Google search hasn't shed any light on this message.
>> Does anyone know the quote? Who said/wrote it? Title of
>> publication? The actual quote?
>
> On most systems the command is "make".  Depending on the makefile,
> it might require an argument or two.

'make' doesn't pull out a particular version of code from a config-control
program, or automatically run regression tests, or put the resulting output
back under config-control and label it, or create an installation program
etc...

* Re: [OT] Build procedures
@ 2004-09-10  9:19 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-09-10  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Dowie wrote:
> I seem to remember that within the last few months there was a
> posting here which mentioned a quote about how any project should be
> able to be built with a single command from a command line.
> Unfortunately Google search hasn't shed any light on this message.
> Does anyone know the quote? Who said/wrote it? Title of publication?
> The actual quote?!

Big thanks to Karel, who sent me this link...

Which is exactly what I was looking for.

-- Martin

* Re: [OT] Build procedures
@ 2004-09-11  1:21     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2004-09-11  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

"Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> writes:

> "CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Martin Dowie wrote:
> >>
> >> I seem to remember that within the last few months there was a
> >> posting here which mentioned a quote about how any project should
> >> be able to be built with a single command from a command line.
> >> Unfortunately Google search hasn't shed any light on this message.
> >> Does anyone know the quote? Who said/wrote it? Title of
> >> publication? The actual quote?
> >
> > On most systems the command is "make".  Depending on the makefile,
> > it might require an argument or two.
>
> 'make' doesn't pull out a particular version of code from a config-control
> program, or automatically run regression tests, or put the resulting output
> back under config-control and label it, or create an installation program
> etc...

Make can do all of that if you tell it to. As can Ant, or any other
full-fledged build system.

gnatmake can't, since it can't run arbitrary shell commands.

--
-- Stephe