* Learning Ada83
@ 2004-09-02 14:23 Jim Gurtner
From: Jim Gurtner @ 2004-09-02 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am a Computer Engineering student and am teaching myself Ada95 using
the book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" by John
English.

I would like to be able to get a job in the defense industry when I
graduate.  Should I get a book on Ada83 and study it also?  Or does
studying Ada95 make one automatically fluent in Ada83?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Gurtner
(an Ada programmer wannabe!)
jgurtner@mindspring.com

* Re: Learning Ada83
@ 2004-09-02 14:55 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-09-02 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Gurtner wrote:
> I am a Computer Engineering student and am teaching myself Ada95 using
> the book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" by John
> English.
>
> I would like to be able to get a job in the defense industry when I
> graduate.  Should I get a book on Ada83 and study it also?  Or does
> studying Ada95 make one automatically fluent in Ada83?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't bother - most new defence work (at least the stuff I'm doing) is
going throuh Ada95 compilers and a lot of legacy stuff is being ported.
There
is a 'porting guide' available (just google for it).

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Learning Ada83
@ 2004-09-02 23:13 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2004-09-02 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 Sep 2004 07:23:25 -0700, Jim Gurtner <jgurtner@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I am a Computer Engineering student and am teaching myself Ada95
> using the book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming"
> by John English.
>
> I would like to be able to get a job in the defense industry when
> I graduate.  Should I get a book on Ada83 and study it also?  Or
> does studying Ada95 make one automatically fluent in Ada83?

Ada 95 is nearly a true superset of Ada 83, so I think studying Ada
95 will enable you to understand Ada 83 programs well enough. I
doubt that there will be much origination of new software in Ada 83
in any shop anywhere nowadays.

You would probably find it instructive to look at the Ada 83
reference manual. The Ada Information Clearinghouse, at:

    http://www.adaic.org/

has an online copy of the ARM 83 (under the Ada Standards menu).

One significant point about the difference between Adas 83 and 95
is that the really object-oriented features were added in Ada 95.
However, Ada 83 did have packages and generics. It even had type
derivation (but not extension, so it wasn't very useful).

Actually, although learning Ada 95 is a very good idea for several
reasons, you ought to be advised (if you have not already) to learn
some other languages, at least to a basic level. Probably C and one
assembly language (not in detail) would be useful. Probably C++
would also be helpful (again, not necessarily in detail). Possibly
Java (but I'm not sure). Learning a little about some functional
language would also probably be enlightening to you, as would a
little knowledge of typical (relational) database systems.

Best of luck!

--
Nick Roberts

* Re: Learning Ada83
@ 2004-09-03 15:38   ` Kevin Cline
From: Kevin Cline @ 2004-09-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Nick Roberts" <nick.roberts@acm.org> wrote in message news:<opsdp2srmvp4pfvb@bram-2>...
> On 2 Sep 2004 07:23:25 -0700, Jim Gurtner <jgurtner@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > I am a Computer Engineering student and am teaching myself Ada95
> > using the book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming"
> > by John English.
> >
> > I would like to be able to get a job in the defense industry when
> > I graduate.  Should I get a book on Ada83 and study it also?  Or
> > does studying Ada95 make one automatically fluent in Ada83?
>
> Ada 95 is nearly a true superset of Ada 83, so I think studying Ada
> 95 will enable you to understand Ada 83 programs well enough. I
> doubt that there will be much origination of new software in Ada 83
> in any shop anywhere nowadays.
>
> You would probably find it instructive to look at the Ada 83
> reference manual. The Ada Information Clearinghouse, at:
>
>     http://www.adaic.org/
>
> has an online copy of the ARM 83 (under the Ada Standards menu).
>
> One significant point about the difference between Adas 83 and 95
> is that the really object-oriented features were added in Ada 95.
> However, Ada 83 did have packages and generics. It even had type
> derivation (but not extension, so it wasn't very useful).
>
> Actually, although learning Ada 95 is a very good idea for several
> reasons, you ought to be advised (if you have not already) to learn
> some other languages, at least to a basic level. Probably C and one
> assembly language (not in detail) would be useful. Probably C++
> would also be helpful (again, not necessarily in detail). Possibly
> Java (but I'm not sure). Learning a little about some functional
> language would also probably be enlightening to you, as would a
> little knowledge of typical (relational) database systems.

It would also be useful and practical to learn one of the advanced
scripting languages like Perl or Python or Ruby.  Not only will you
learn some new styles of programming, but you will find them extremely
useful in automating repetitive tasks.  That sort of automation can
make huge differences in productivity.  While the average developer is
performing some 34-step process for the second time that day, and then
recovering from the problems caused by forgetting step 19, the expert
has run a script and is on to more creative work.

* Re: Learning Ada83
@ 2004-09-03 16:42     ` Marius Amado Alves
From: Marius Amado Alves @ 2004-09-03 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> It would also be useful and practical to learn one of the advanced
> scripting languages like Perl or Python or Ruby....

Wow, they're *advanced* scripting languages now!  And I thought real man
did all their scripting in Ada these days :-)  Now, less jestly, I find
this a strange advice in this list.  If you want to go the Great Ball of
Mud way why not just recommend PAM (PHP + Apache + MySQL) and get done
with it?  (Sorry, every now and then I can't resist a good language battle.)

* Advanced scripting languages (was: Learning Ada83)
@ 2004-09-03 17:57       ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2004-09-03 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marius Amado Alves wrote:

>> It would also be useful and practical to learn one of the advanced
>> scripting languages like Perl or Python or Ruby....
>
> Wow, they're *advanced* scripting languages now!

Sure, a *lot* more advanced than bat files. ;-)

--
Björn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: Advanced scripting languages (was: Learning Ada83)
@ 2004-09-03 23:47         ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-09-03 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bj�rn Persson" <spam-away@nowhere.nil> wrote in message
Marius Amado Alves wrote:

>>> It would also be useful and practical to learn one of the advanced
>>> scripting languages like Perl or Python or Ruby....
>>
>> Wow, they're *advanced* scripting languages now!
>
>Sure, a *lot* more advanced than bat files. ;-)

That's funny, because if it's complicated enough that I can't write a batch
file to do it, I'll generally write it in Ada. Bat has If and Goto, and that
is enough for simple tasks. Beyond that, I want to be able to fix it and be
able to insure that it works...

                   Randy.

* Re: Advanced scripting languages (was: Learning Ada83)
@ 2004-09-05  3:28           ` Kevin Cline
From: Kevin Cline @ 2004-09-05  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote in message news:<taKdnQ2WrI_qn6TcRVn-sA@megapath.net>...
> "Bj�rn Persson" <spam-away@nowhere.nil> wrote in message

> >> Wow, they're *advanced* scripting languages now!
> >
> >Sure, a *lot* more advanced than bat files. ;-)
>
> That's funny, because if it's complicated enough that I can't write a batch
> file to do it, I'll generally write it in Ada. Bat has If and Goto, and that
> is enough for simple tasks. Beyond that, I want to be able to fix it and be
> able to insure that it works...

Strong typing is handy, but it's not enough to ensure that something
works.  Ada has it's strengths, but it's not the tool for every job.
Why would you spend an hour writing 50 or 100 lines of Ada code when
five minutes and a five-line Perl script would do the job?

* Re: Learning Ada83
@ 2004-09-06  2:42 ` Jim Gurtner
From: Jim Gurtner @ 2004-09-06  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you all for clearing this up for me!

JimG

@ 2004-09-08  0:07             ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-09-08  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)