* Latest GNAT version
@ 2004-08-30 19:21 John Zouck
From: John Zouck @ 2004-08-30 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't find a reference on ACT's web site to where they
distribute GNAT. I assume they are still providing free builds
of the compiler suite. I searched around and found version 3.15p
on the NYU web site, and that is the latest I see anywhere.

Anyone know of a newer version? And, can anyone comment on the
GPS development environment?

* Re: Latest GNAT version
@ 2004-08-30 20:49 ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2004-08-30 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Zouck wrote:

> I can't find a reference on ACT's web site to where they
> distribute GNAT.

Me neither, but it's here:

http://libre.act-europe.fr/GNAT/

> I searched around and found version 3.15p
> on the NYU web site, and that is the latest I see anywhere.
>
> Anyone know of a newer version?

That's still the latest public release from Adacore, but the Gnat that
is part of GCC 3.4 has some later improvements. On the other hand it
also lacks some of the surrounding tools.

http://gcc.gnu.org/

> And, can anyone comment on the
> GPS development environment?

Its feature set is great, but in the latest public release it's still
annoyingly buggy, and some of the features aren't supported by the
public releases of Gnat. Particularly non-English letters seem to screw
up almost everything in GPS. If only those problems get sorted out it
will in my opinion be a very nice development environment.

--
Björn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: Latest GNAT version
@ 2004-08-30 21:28   ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2004-08-30 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bj�rn Persson wrote:
>> And, can anyone comment on the GPS development environment?
>
> Its feature set is great, but in the latest public release it's still
> annoyingly buggy, and some of the features aren't supported by the
> public releases of Gnat. Particularly non-English letters seem to screw
> up almost everything in GPS. If only those problems get sorted out it
> will in my opinion be a very nice development environment.

It occurs to me that if GPS were written in C++ and had these kinds
of problems, you guys would eat it alive.

* Re: Latest GNAT version
@ 2004-08-30 23:17     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2004-08-30 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hyman Rosen:

> It occurs to me that if GPS were written in C++ and had these kinds
> of problems, you guys would eat it alive.

Probably true. 8-)

In fact, one nice aspect of C++ is that most of the real experts
aren't apparent zealots.  Maybe it helps if you don't have to justify
your choice of programming language at every corner.

* Re: Latest GNAT version
@ 2004-08-31 13:18       ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2004-08-31 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer wrote:
> In fact, one nice aspect of C++ is that most of the real experts
> aren't apparent zealots.

You haven't been following the garbage collection discussion on
the C++ newsgroups, then? :-)

* Re: Latest GNAT version
@ 2004-08-31 17:52     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-08-31 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> writes:

> It occurs to me that if GPS were written in C++ and had these kinds
> of problems, you guys would eat it alive.

And that's almost the case :) GPS is based on GtkAda, which is based on GTK+
which is written in C++! And yes most of the problems come from this layer (at
least on Windows)... Font problems is one example.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: Latest GNAT version
@ 2004-08-31 22:52       ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2004-08-31 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Pascal Obry" <obry@act-europe.fr> wrote in message

> Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> writes:
>
>> It occurs to me that if GPS were written in C++ and had these kinds
>> of problems, you guys would eat it alive.
>
> And that's almost the case :) GPS is based on GtkAda, which is based on
> GTK+
> which is written in C++! And yes most of the problems come from this layer
> (at
> least on Windows)... Font problems is one example.
>
> Pascal.
>
> --

Actually Gtk+ is written in C, not C++.

* Re: Latest GNAT version -- an afterthought for the "Ada Popularity..." thread
@ 2004-09-01  2:13       ` Cesar Rabak
From: Cesar Rabak @ 2004-09-01  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry escreveu:
> Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> writes:
>

>>It occurs to me that if GPS were written in C++ and had these kinds
>>of problems, you guys would eat it alive.
>

> And that's almost the case :) GPS is based on GtkAda, which is based on GTK+
> which is written in C++! And yes most of the problems come from this layer (at
> least on Windows)... Font problems is one example.

Perhaps this is a fine example of another hidden factor in the less than
expected popularity of Ada: when using the language in hosted
environments, and in this case with foreing (non Ada) frameworks, the
incremental robustness of Ada is pratically not seen. . .

--
Cesar Rabak

* Re: Latest GNAT version
@ 2004-09-06  3:52     ` Pylinius
From: Pylinius @ 2004-09-06  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:
> Bj�rn Persson wrote:
>
>>> And, can anyone comment on the GPS development environment?
>>

>> Its feature set is great, but in the latest public release it's still
>> annoyingly buggy, and some of the features aren't supported by the
>> public releases of Gnat. Particularly non-English letters seem to
>> screw up almost everything in GPS. If only those problems get sorted
>> out it will in my opinion be a very nice development environment.
>

> It occurs to me that if GPS were written in C++ and had these kinds
> of problems, you guys would eat it alive.

Fortunately, it doesn't have problems.

That was a joke. Every app has problems.

But seriously, it doesn't have problems.